what amp is best for stoner rock/metal tones?

boatshoes

• Members

I'm not sure if any of them use a Big Muff per se, but all of the guitarists involved (ok...Josh Homme, Scott Hill, and Bob Balch), are all known for their liberal use of various brands of fuzz pedals.

IMO, if you're looking for that crazy, fuzzy, saturated sound, a Big Muff is a pretty good recommendation.

• Members

I'm not sure if any of them use a Big Muff
per se
, but all of the guitarists involved (ok...Josh Homme, Scott Hill, and Bob Balch), are all known for their liberal use of various brands of fuzz pedals.

IMO, if you're looking for that crazy, fuzzy, saturated sound, a Big Muff is a pretty good recommendation.

I just merely pointing out the fact that Big Muffs are scooped and in conjunction with scooped speakers that will get mushy and undefined. Fuzz per se yeah I can see what working well but are they big muffs?

• Members

a hiwatt 200 with a bigmuff in front of it. hell.. any overpowered amp with a muff in front of it would probably work.

but helmet? a stoner rock band? more like a stoner JOCK band... have you seen those guys?
:lol:

no {censored} huh! first time i saw them , i thought they were going to gimme a wedgie and stuff me in a locker!

• Members

These are the best for it. Period.

3938062585_066a8088fd.jpg
/thread

I hate Tom Huff in the face for having those two amps right now.

Run those side by side with one having a short variable delay on it and you should get a huge chorus effect going on. Also, you're totally right (in my opinion since, realistically, there is no "BEST"). Though no recording or video or clip can do their live sound justice, mine is absolutely the best sounding piece of gear I have ever played.

ULWgAVOXGkg

Oeoj8HGatYk

1JTTcH7-wmQ

• Members

The bass amp thing is mostly useful if you are getting your dirt or fuzz from the floor. I've tried the bass amp thing, with only limited results. High powered guitar amps get the job done a little more elegantly, and allow you to use the sounds on-board the amp. The more important thing for sounding fat is to have an amp with usable bass at lower tunings, which is pretty easily accomplished.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Yeah, Helmet's really the odd ball in this conversation. I don't see any relation between their tones and the others'. If you wanted something that did it all, I'd say get a vht pitbull or similar and use the amps distortion for the Helmet-ish stuff... and run it clean with a fuzz for the others. It's not the amp I'd choose for stoner rock tones, but it could probably do it alright. However, I don't think you're going to get anywhere near Helmet's tones with an amp better suited for stoner rock tones.

Archived