speaker volume and ohm rating

lpwcruzr

• Members

I know I've seen a discussion on this before, but i can't find it. If you have two, 4 x 12 cabinets and one is an 8ohm cab and one is a 16 ohm cab with the same speakers in each will there be a volume difference between the two? Will the added resistance of the 16ohm cab affect the sound or volume? I've got a Marshal Mode 4 cab which has vintage 30 speaker's in it, all 16ohm with one input jack. I like the cab but my volume has always been a little lower than what I was expecting. I've considered rewiring this cab.

• Members

are you talking about only using one cab at a time? either the 8ohm or 16ohm? tube amp?

if so, no the ohm difference does not imply more power delivery if the amp head and cab settings are matched.

optimum power delivery to the load is when the source and load are matched.

• Members

are you talking about only using one cab at a time? either the 8ohm or 16ohm? tube amp?

if so, no the ohm difference does not imply more power delivery if the amp head and cab settings are matched.

optimum power delivery to the load is when the source and load are matched.

Good point. My post only applies if you're running them at the same time.

• Members

It's impossible to have a cab with 16 ohm speakers wired to 8 ohms...

It's only possible to wire them as 4, 16, 32 or 64.

If you wanted to run 2 cabs with different ohm rating, daisy chaining them would result in a total impedance of around 12, which you would use the 16 ohm jack, but the 8ohm cab would be much louder because of the lesser load it produces.

• Members

yeah, I was asking about running the cabinets one at a time in the original post. Is there some point or advantage when wiring a cab as to which way to wire it, 16ohm or 8ohm?

well for four 16 ohm speakers it's either 16 ohm or 4 ohm.

with 16 ohm two sets are wired series and those two are then wired parallel

or two sets are wired parallel and then those two are wired series.

with 4 ohms all four are parallel.

does it make a difference that matters. probably at the nat's ass level. electrically speaking series effects are additive and parallel are averaging.

Archived