new song - your thoughts

J.Paul

• Members

We had a "conflict" w/ a promoter last week and I thought to myself "everywhere you go there's a jackass". Then I thought WOW that's a song, lets write it. Then I thought "asshole" rhymed better but since I'm trying to write for radio you can't say "asshole" so I morphed it into "jackhole".....last line of the chorus /payoff/hook :

"big city Bill or small town Joe

everywhere you go there's a jackhole"

....then (this week) it occurs to me that there is a talk show or production company or something else called jackhole (not sure what it is but I swear I've seen the logo before).

Should I keep the word?

• Members

We had a "conflict" w/ a promoter last week and I thought to myself "everywhere you go there's a jackass". Then I thought WOW that's a song, lets write it. Then I thought "asshole" rhymed better but since I'm trying to write for radio you can't say "asshole" so I morphed it into "jackhole".....last line of the chorus /payoff/hook :

"big city Bill or small town Joe

everywhere you go there's a jackhole"

....then (this week) it occurs to me that there is a talk show or production company or something else called jackhole (not sure what it is but I swear I've seen the logo before).

Should I keep the word?

Jackhole is Jimmy Kimmel's production entity.

I'm not sure if the word is copyrighted or not, but I like jackass better anyway.

You could always use "asshole" on the original and replace it with "forget you" on the airplay version...*

LCK

*For anyone who doesn't get it, this is a reference to Cee Lo Green's song, "F--- You."

• Members

I'm not even sure 'asshole' will get you banned from radio these days. I guess it depends on how audible the word is. Roger Daltrey got away with 'who the {censored} are you' on radio more than 30 years ago.

Anyway, I'm an advocate of writing what you feel and letting people decide for themselves whether they find it offensive.

• Members

I like Jackass better than Jackhole. Simple, relatable, to the point. Jackhole, by contrast feels cluttered, like it is the smushed up combo of words that it is.

Yeah I know, I considered that at first...

plus "jackass" flows better.

I honestly don't think country radio is gonna play anything with the word jackass yet (I could ask and find out....)

The thing is (some) country songs tend to invent words that don't exist (lol)

which leads me to "jackhole"......

it might end up getting sung as a half note or whole note phrase which would relieve any clutteredness

not sure yet....haven't worked on it....another song wanted me to write it first so I had to listen.

• Members

This isn't meant to be as snide as it will probably sound

I think "big city bill and small town joe" would be more likely to keep this song off the radio than the term asshole

You mean that it might sound insulting or belittling?

If so, that doesn't bother me.

Small town people love being from small towns (at least that's what country radio espouses)

rednecks love being rednecks

hicks are hicks and know it....

I also might end up spelling it "Jo"

....wouldn't wanna exclude the ladies

• Members

Anyway, I'm an advocate of writing what you feel and letting people decide for themselves whether they find it offensive.

I'm not the artist,or I would

it'll be pitched so I'm trying to self edit as much as I can before it gets to decision makers.....

I was doing fine until I got to the payoff of the second verse :

"in a cinema

yelling at the big screen

he's an enema

in the back of a donkey"

and am just shooting myself in the foot now

lol

maybe it should just be a blues song instead

after all it IS 3 minuetes of complaining

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well this song is almost finished

(just lettin' it sink it for awhile before I polish it some more).

It didn't end up being a country song

it's kind of Aerosmith-y.

I feel like we should always have control of the song and guide it where we want,

but it didn't want to

it wanted to be something else

so I listened.

Kimmel's a Bosstones fan so maybe I'll stick some horns on it.

JACKHOLE

A cigarettes flies

soaring out the window

and he runs red lights

knowing it's a no no

In an airport line

TSA's in trouble

breaker 2-1-9

hurry up on the double

big city Bill

or small town Phil

everywhere you go

there's a jackhole

In a message board

bluffing better poker

when he cant afford

chips on a shoulder

In a cinema

yelling at a light beam

he's a hot enema

melting my ice cream

big city Sam

or small town Dan

everywhere you go

there's a jackhole

Well he's probably

a son of a gun that fires BBs

and his mommy

never whooped him over her knees

He's full of verve and sass

when he's acting like a big jackhole

big city Bill

small town Phil

mountain man Moe

or metro Joe

everywhere you go there's a jackhole

everywhere you go there's a jackhole

Music & Lyric

• Members

You pulled that one out nicely. Is there a link I'm missing or did you not post one? Demo not worked up yet? BTW, your mention of Aerosmith really makes this tick. It's very Tyleresque. Cool.

well I have a worktape but not a demo,

the arrangement it's still a little too singer/songwriter-ey

This kind of thing demands loud electric guitar with loud drummer (ala high school band style) bashing it out to make it a little more authentic

...it'll probably be mid-September before I have time and opportunity to do that...PLUS finding the right voice for the tune is always critical for demos.

This guy in Nashville I use to do writers nights with, Rusty Horn, might be a good vocal for this (he use to be in Hayseed Dixie),

if not my friend Terry down in SPI can get a little closer to the vibe than I can.

http://www.jpaulmusic.com/Audio/jackhole-worktape2.mp3

I hate writing rock songs on acoustic.

• Moderators

well I have a worktape but not a demo,

the arrangement it's still a little too singer/songwriter-ey

This kind of thing demands loud electric guitar with loud drummer (ala high school band style) bashing it out to make it a little more authentic

...it'll probably be mid-September before I have time and opportunity to do that...PLUS finding the right voice for the tune is always critical for demos.

This guy in Nashville I use to do writers nights with, Rusty Horn, might be a good vocal for this (he use to be in Hayseed Dixie),

if not my friend Terry down in SPI can get a little closer to the vibe than I can.

http://www.jpaulmusic.com/Audio/jackhole-worktape2.mp3

I hate writing rock songs on acoustic.

yeah! This is cool. I love the jackhole hook. I love the guitar hooks, the overt and well as the more subtle ones. That single note line you do in the intro? That's very cool. It seems you could incorporate that between the "everywhere you go there's a jackhole" lines. It might need changing of some notes to make it work over your chord sequence there, but I think it would add the extra bit of hookiness your main hook is looking for.

This is really cool. You have a mean, intuitive groove. :thu:

Archived