Another "Best" thread...

grunge782

• Members

So this talk of Budda amps has got me wondering, what are some of the amps out there that are great for cleans (either is or can get warm and chimey, not just trebely and spanky) and low-mid gain crunch? I'm looking for amp heads in a range up to about 2000. No combo's please. So what do you guys know thats out there?

• Members

Dc, lonestar, classic 50, ac30, buddah, drz, carr, Fuchs..... Some of those are over 2 gs tho. Maybe a jvm 210. Silver jub. There's a million options for mid gainers.

Thanks man

I know there are a lot of mid gainers, but I'm talking about having both killer cleans specifically that are chimey and warm AND having a great low to mid gain. I figure that siphons the options a bit.

• Members

go vintage and buy a 50 watt Marshall with no master volume. JCM 800 from the early 80's or whatever it is that AC/DC uses. You can use an OD pedal for your overdrive tones, a distortion for that, or you can just crank it and use your volume knob to switch between clean and low to mid gain crunch. 2 grand to spend? Why not go to the source, right?

I would also look into the Engl Screamer or Thunder, Framus Ruby Riot, or even something like a Framus Cobra which will give you one of the finest clean tones out there which can be dirtied up nicely with the gain knob or an OD pedal, a tight and crunchy as hell rhythm channel, and then a lead channel that is nothing short of astounding (and can also be used for a monstrously thick rhythmic distortion as well). Either way, with an amp like the Cobra you are investing in many more options with the same amount of money that you will spend on one measly boutique amp channel that does one or maybe two things tops. I wish I could let you play through my Cobra to get an understanding of what I am getting at here. I let this dude in a pretty big reggae band here in San Diego use it a year or two ago at a 420 show because his amp got stolen just befor they arrived. We played before them, blistering metal/hardcore. He then goes on with a Les Paul Custom and 2 pedals (reggae-ish effects like delay and phase) and just makes the Cobra sing. He couldn't believe it.

mis dos pesos, senor. :blah:

• Members
go vintage and buy a 50 watt Marshall with no master volume. JCM 800 from the early 80's or whatever it is that AC/DC uses. You can use an OD pedal for your overdrive tones, a distortion for that, or you can just crank it and use your volume knob to switch between clean and low to mid gain crunch. 2 grand to spend? Why not go to the source, right?

I would also look into the Engl Screamer or Thunder, Framus Ruby Riot, or even something like a Framus Cobra which will give you one of the finest clean tones out there which can be dirtied up nicely with the gain knob or an OD pedal, a tight and crunchy as hell rhythm channel, and then a lead channel that is nothing short of astounding (and can also be used for a monstrously thick rhythmic distortion as well). Either way, with an amp like the Cobra you are investing in many more options with the same amount of money that you will spend on one measly boutique amp channel that does one or maybe two things tops. I wish I could let you play through my Cobra to get an understanding of what I am getting at here. I let this dude in a pretty big reggae band here in San Diego use it a year or two ago at a 420 show because his amp got stolen just befor they arrived. We played before them, blistering metal/hardcore. He then goes on with a Les Paul Custom and 2 pedals (reggae-ish effects like delay and phase) and just makes the Cobra sing. He couldn't believe it.

mis dos pesos, senor.
:blah:

I'm not sure I've ever understood "Marshall Cleans". What exactly is it supposed to sound like? Warm, Crisp, Chimey?

Archived