mixed speakers in cab (Celestion/Eminence)

J.Paul

• Members

My Marshall 2 x 12 (celestion speakers) has been in the shop for three weeks (one of the speakers blew) for re-coning (or whatever it is they do to fix the thing). I had rehersals and a show this week and the tech offered to keep me playing by installing an Eminence until the blown one comes back.

What do you think? Should I keep it?

The cab has different speakers now; in my mind this gives me the option of a different coloration if I wanna move the mic from speaker to speaker.

Have you done this before?

It sounds pretty good (but it sounded pretty good stock).

Opinions......

• Members

I have mixed speakers in my custom cabinet by choice. The opportunity to mic different speakers for different venues is really nice. My cab currently has V30's and G12-65's in an "X" pattern. Really sounds huge with my Marshall and my Vox heads.

• Members

My Marshall 2 x 12 (celestion speakers) has been in the shop for three weeks (one of the speakers blew) for re-coning (or whatever it is they do to fix the thing). I had rehersals and a show this week and the tech offered to keep me playing by installing an Eminence until the blown one comes back.

What do you think? Should I keep it?

The cab has different speakers now; in my mind this gives me the option of a different coloration if I wanna move the mic from speaker to speaker.

Have you done this before?

It sounds pretty good (but it sounded pretty good stock).

Opinions......

if it sounds good keep it

btw how much is he charging to re-cone your speaker and what celestion speaker is it?

• Members

I have tried a couple of different combinations in my 2x12 speaker cabinet. Usually one of the speakers will have a higher sensitivity rating which equates to it being louder than the other speakers.

I think that it's kind of like 'blending into the mix' of a complete band on stage or whatever. Different speakers will have accentuated frequency ranges (peak resonances?) that may or may not work well together for your purpose.

Sometimes I'll swap out one of the 12's in my 2x12 for a 10" speaker; it almost sounds as if the cab switches over to the 12" speaker entirely with lower note playing... pretty awesome effect, actually.

If you've already got a speaker that fills out your mix how you like, it can (sometimes) be nice having all things being equal IMHO.

• Members

Be careful and definitely get advice from other people with the same amp.

It can be great for recording/live miced

but sometimes if you're just playing without micing it can be impossible to dial in a certain toan. For example one speaker is way too bassy but when you turn that down the treble from the other speaker takes over. or something like that.

Archived