Epiphone LP necks

mcr23

• Members

I really want a Gibby Joe Perry boneyard LP but they are betweem 3-4K :freak:

I found an Epi one and was curious if it is crap that I will be dissappointed with?

I'm thinking I will be dissappointed with it but I'm willing to get opinions :cop:

• Members
I hear the "good for the money" arguement but that makes me think I should just save for the real thing. I feel like I'll look down upon it with disdain at a later time after the HNGD honeymoon.
:o

This is what always happens in the long run when you don't really go for what you actually want.

• Members

The Epi Lp's are nice. The electronics suck though. The pots are cheap as well as the 3 way switch and the wiring. Honestly my Epi plays better than my Gibson and sounds great after a pickup swap but I still reach for the real deal when they are side by side. You should just save and pick up a used Gibson Standard. You may have to play a bunch of them before you find a great one but it's worth it when you do.

• Members

There are some really, really nice ones out there. Make sure you play it before you buy if possible, because, as you've undoubtedly already heard, Epi's QC can be all over the place. It may be kinda meh, it may be a gem.

Attend to pickups and wiring first thing.

Gibson's QC is even more all over the place. I've found Epi's to be fairly consistent by comparison...

• Members

If you believe that you'll be disappointed by it, there's a really good chance that you'll be disappointed by it.

I've had an epi lp standard since 01, it desperately needed new pots and new pickups. The pickup selector died after about 4 years, so that was replaced. The tuning pegs were replaced with new ones, but there was nothing wrong with the originals.

The neck is fine...the gloss on it was bothersome so that was removed. The width is on the small side which I like.

If you can save up for the "real thing" and justify paying the price, go for it. $3000-4000 tends to be a lot of money for a guitar for most mortals.

Archived