So yeah, about that Nitro.

fabeon

• Members

One thing I dont understand is the complaints people have about this amp at low volumes?

yeah the volume taper is ruthless but the fact is that when the volume is at 9 o'clock and you hear the tone that comes from the amp, going back down on the volume knob to bedroom volume is the hugest buzz kill.

the volume pedal in the loop works REALLY well but you lose some saturation. I recently got a hotplate and noticed a much meaner amp at the same dB as before now that the power section is getting roasted.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
you can do either man, my AOL email is the same as my username, and so is my IM. Although, my email is so spam ridden at the moment, IM is probably better. I could easily miss it in email.
:thu:

Everytime I check AIM you're offline :cry:

• Members

Hey fastredponycar, I know you have spent more money experimenting with tubes for your Nitro than I can possibly afford, what do you recommend? Mine currently has the mullard re-issue el34's that I assume are stock, but I want to try KT-88's in it. what KT-88's have you found work especially well with the Nitro?

• Members

((STEREO!!))

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

[YOUTUBE]aCkWSqM1chc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mwH0Ve1PUf0[/YOUTUBE]

Hey fastredponycar, I know you have spent more money experimenting with tubes for your Nitro than I can possibly afford, what do you recommend? Mine currently has the mullard re-issue el34's that I assume are stock, but I want to try KT-88's in it. what KT-88's have you found work especially well with the Nitro?

Ruby KT88 STR's. I'm on my 2nd set. I had a brief fling with a set of =C= 6550's but they really didn't do it for me so I got another set of rubys.

• Members

The most frustrating amp I ever owned - whatever I tried I could not get a tone I liked out of it...the volume taper is awful, the fx loop is worse, the tonal difference between 50w and 100w was like 2 completely different amps and the tone controls were impossible to dial in....also incredibly bass heavy...

I loved all the clips I heard, I loved the KSE tones and loved the look of the amp but just could not get anywhere near a decent tone out of it...:cry:

• Members
you can do either man, my AOL email is the same as my username, and so is my IM. Although, my email is so spam ridden at the moment, IM is probably better. I could easily miss it in email.
:thu:

Hey Erock.. have you played a Nitro thru a Krank cab?

I tried this setup about a week ago and it sounded awful. NEVER plug the Nitro into a solid wood oversized cab with Eminence speakers. The bass will knock you of your feet, but you won't get anything else.

• Members
The most frustrating amp I ever owned - whatever I tried I could not get a tone I liked out of it...the volume taper is awful, the fx loop is worse, the tonal difference between 50w and 100w was like 2 completely different amps and the tone controls were impossible to dial in....also incredibly bass heavy...

I loved all the clips I heard, I loved the KSE tones and loved the look of the amp but just could not get anywhere near a decent tone out of it...
:cry:

Exactly how I felt about the quickrod minus the bass comment. Nicely built machine but I simply did not like the tones or the feel. I did crank it to noon once and nobody on my street would talk to me for weeks. I never knew it was that easy to get them to hate me :)

• Members
I dunno dude. Maybe it was a bad speaker combo or something.

Maybe although I was using the Splawn 4x12 small block cab with it.

I think my problem is the interraction of the tone controls with each other, the bass seems to influence the lower mids, so when you adjust the mid control it affects the bass you just dialled in plus the treble etc etc. The bottom end of the amp is absolutely unbelievable - fantastic for knocking down walls or damaging structures but not really very helpful when playing live....I really wanted to like this amp but just found it much less intuitive and more complicated to dial in than even my SE which has more controls than a 747...:cry:

• Members

One thing I realized after playing with the Nitro is that you shouldnt be afraid to go the the extremes when it comes to the EQ. All of the gain is usable. The amp is mid heavy so even with scooped mids there's still a considerable amount of cut. The resonance and presence play a pretty large role in tone as well.

Whatever the case, I've never been as happy with my toanes. Like I said before, I think its the perfect mix of saturation and clarity.

Archived