EHX Metal Muff users....

Soulcrusher_X

• Members

I'm on the verge of getting a MM pedal (the 6 knob version) and I was wondering if it works well with a boost pedal, either in front of the MM or behind it. I want to build a Marshall Plexi clone and was thinking of using the MM and a boost, like my Bad Monkey if I want more guts. Has anyone tried this before?

• Members

I tried one and didn't understand what all the hype is about. Decent build quality and not bad-sounding, but it really needs an EQ pedal alongside it in my opinion. I'm hopelessly in love with discontinued distortion pedals from the `90s, but for something current, maybe a Jekyll & Hyde?

• Members

If you're looking for a plexi clone, you can start with this:

I tried a MM and was not impressed. Sounded really thin to me, even with the bass turned up. I think it was the 6 knob version. Honestly I tried it for about 10 minutes and gave up. Wasn't likin' it.

The Metal Muff is what we use for all of our dirt. I think its a KILLER sounding pedal. The Sword does the same thing. Ive been switching it up a bit lately , but youll have to pry that pedal out of our other guitarists cold dead hands

• Members

The Metal Muff is what we use for all of our dirt. I think its a KILLER sounding pedal. The Sword does the same thing. Ive been switching it up a bit lately , but youll have to pry that pedal out of our other guitarists cold dead hands

I love the tones that the Sword gets with the Metal Muff, and I'm also using your recommendations for the MM. I'm just wondering if the MM works well with a light OD for a boost. I've heard of people using a boost in front of a distortion pedal, so I was wondering if the MM would also work in the same regard. What pedal have you been switching the MM up with?

• Members

The Top Boost is useless unless you like icepicks driven into your ears, but the rest of the MM is pretty good.

My son had one for several years and got good tones out of it. Of course, I'd borrow it and turn the mids back up because that's what my Strat liked. " Papa!!!! Stop screwing with my EQ!! OK, son.... Get your own amp or leave MY EQ alone, then..."

• Members

I like the MM, you can get a lot of different sounding distortions out of it.

There is a boost on the 6 knob version, but it seems to be very treble-y.

Distortion is a personal preference thing, so you are going to have haters and lovers of almost all products, keep that in mind, also, what sorta tones are you going for?

If you can try one out before hand, obviously that would be ideal.

Keep in mind that when the pedal is turned on, and the distortion knob is dialed down, there is still distortion.

My buddy who for years used the Mesa distortion thinks this pedal is much tighter if that makes sense.

Here is my favorite settings.

And of course, Metal rules!

~Dan

• Members

I like the MM, you can get a lot of different sounding distortions out of it.

There is a boost on the 6 knob version, but it seems to be very treble-y.

Distortion is a personal preference thing, so you are going to have haters and lovers of almost all products, keep that in mind, also, what sorta tones are you going for?

If you can try one out before hand, obviously that would be ideal.

Keep in mind that when the pedal is turned on, and the distortion knob is dialed down, there is still distortion.

My buddy who for years used the Mesa distortion thinks this pedal is much tighter if that makes sense.

Here is my favorite settings.

And of course, Metal rules!

~Dan

Its a frequency boost not a volume boost iirc. You can actually set it lower than the original EQ so you get more balls out of it :thu:

Archived