OT : Love my Jackson Dinky but.....

stompboxfreak72

• Members

Amen to blocking the trem. I just had mine unblocked last week and now remember why I did it in the first place.

Because it's not adjusted correctly? Bad technique? :idk:

Oh...and agreed THIS jackson...looks GREAT! You could use this for funk, disco, metal, 38 special....anything. Nice guitar dude.

• Members
Because it's not adjusted correctly? Bad technique?
:idk:

Oh...and agreed THIS jackson...looks GREAT! You could use this for funk, disco, metal, 38 special....anything. Nice guitar dude.

With the trem I just never seem to use it much. that being said I have taken the Dinky to Hendrix/Vai whammy town this evening.

I do a lot of drop D stuff and was told that a d-tuna won't fit on the dinky---- that may not be correct but I never looked further into it. If I could get a d-tuna on a dinky I would not block the trem. If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate it.

This Dinky was my first real guitar in 93. I was a broke college student. This guitar was my ONLY guitar for 8 years so playing it is like going home. I now own LPs, PRS, EVH, etc . In the end I have realized that I play my best on this guitar. I love an LP but it's not the first choice for shredding and I am an honest to god child of shred no matter how I have tried to deny it or get away from it.

• Members

With the trem I just never seem to use it much. that being said I have taken the Dinky to Hendrix/Vai whammy town this evening.

I do a lot of drop D stuff and was told that a d-tuna won't fit on the dinky---- that may not be correct but I never looked further into it. If I could get a d-tuna on a dinky I would not block the trem. If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate it.

This Dinky was my first real guitar in 93. I was a broke college student. This guitar was my ONLY guitar for 8 years so playing it is like going home. I now own LPs, PRS, EVH, etc . In the end I have realized that I play my best on this guitar. I love an LP but it's not the first choice for shredding and I am an honest to god child of shred no matter how I have tried to deny it or get away from it.

If it has a recessed floyd you may have to route the top of the guitar to make it work (which I would not do). I had one on that white dinky and I took it off. We do some drop d stuff too and if you set it up right, you can change the tuning on that string with just the fine tuner for standard or drop D.

• Members

when fender bought them, not really to {censored}..but not as good as they were, some feel.

Ok... I was maybe a little over the top here. I did return a Jackson because of numerous problems the guitar had about 8 years ago. It was a popular opinion at that time that Jackson had taken a turn for the worse and I am showing my old age buy bringing it up.

• Members

Dude, I've got a more "dated looking" guitar than your old Jackson and to top it off, it's a Gibson superstrat! The M-III may not be much to look at for some people, but it plays like absolute butter and I could pull off blues, jazz, country, rock and metal all off this one guitar thanks to it's electronics! :D

I say EFF what anyone else thinks of it's looks, if you like how it plays and it does what you need, screw what anyone else thinks! They aren't the one playing it AMIRITE? ;)

• Members

I love dive bombs...but to be honest....most of my trem effects are like Alex Lifeson (i.e. Force Ten from Hold Your Fire), Simple Minds or David Gilmour.

This understated technique is very effective when using long cleanish chords (or even single notes too) and delays, and for me...very important to not have the trem blocked as you progress through the vibrato. If you just do big dive bombs like Van Halen...then yeah...I guess blocking is okay.

I've been using floating trems for 25 years...mostly Floyds, and there's a huge difference in say an OFR and some of the Ibanez/ESP/etc systems. OFR ALWAYS stays in tune provided it has a good initial setup. The Wilkinson (with locking tuners) works great too. Not quite as much "flutter" or up room..but maybe some prefer that anyway. And NO LOCKING NUT!

(PS...my dnky had a Jackson/Schaller/Floyd and it was superb. But I think it was made by the same folks/factory that made the OFR. it was carbon copy of the OFR on my 80's Hamer)

• Members

I got two Jacksons....love'em both!

I say screw any nay-sayers. Only matters if YOU, the player, likes how it looks really.

That said....my mindset is, if your gonna play a Jackson, or any kinda metal oriented guitar....you might as well go all the way with it....which is why I won these.

BEHOLD!!!!

RRV03.jpg

Jackson03.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Newby to the world of locking trems. Can you good folk answer a couple of questions please?

What's blocking the trem mean. Sounds like whatever it is the trem what be usable, if so why not buy a hardtail?

Also, is a locking trem absolutely necessarry? Been look at the music man / ernie ball john petrucci models, now he's one mean player, and no locking trem!

Cheers folks.

Any lefties out there please comment on your axes of choice!

• Members

Wow... brought this baby back from the dead.

I did ultimately have the trem blocked ( I can still depress the bar...just cannot pull up on it) and installed a d-tuna. This guitar has been at every gig I have played this year.

Ended up buying a Charvel instead of a USA jackson. I wants more of teh Charvels now too !

• Members
My bandmates make fun of the guitar every time I play it and keep telling me to retire it but damn I love this guitar. Maybe I should not be so concerned about the appearance.

Man, if my bandmates would say anything about my gear... Either I would tell them to [censored word] or change them! :cop:

C'mon, how can your bandmates influence you that much? :confused: Have more confidence in yourself and just rock on!

Archived