OT: I need comfortable headphones for iPod

Slim Jim

• Members

Good afternoon all.

I travel daily to work, which takes up to an hour and a half.

I use public trans, so entertaining myself is a must.

I've been using my iPod as a means of doing so, the problem is

is that I can't find comfortable headphones.

I'm typically an over the ear guy as opposed to inner ear.

I'm told that the inner ear headphones cause more hearing damage.

But either way, I need some good quality headphones.

I currently have some Sonys that are "studio quality" or some {censored},

but they definitely aren't built for comfort.

Thanks guys

• Members

I'm told that the inner ear headphones cause more hearing damage.

That's crap. in-ear headphones attenuate outside sounds to a greater degree so you don't have to blast them as loud to hear whatever it is you're listening to.

• Members

I don't understand why people and companies include "for iPods" when talking about headphones, as if only certain headphones work with ipods or certain headphones sound better when used with an ipod. I dont know why, but it really bugs me.

Because different headphones are used for different uses, moron. He probably doesn't want to wear big over-ear studio headphones on his daily commute, and I'm sure a lot of people would recommend them if he just asked "What are good headphones?".

Otherwise people's first question would be "What will they be used for?", and he will answer "for Ipod's".

• Members

I use fairly cheap ($30) Sony in ears and they rule. They are the kind though that seal your ear canal and pretty much kill all outside noise.

Best buy carries quite a few pairs of this style, for the price I would recommend trying them.

I am interested. Pic or link? Product name?

• Members

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Ear+Bud+Headphones/8964864.p?id=1218008398563&skuId=8964864

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Ear+Bud+Headphones+-+Black/9495263.p?id=1218114248887&skuId=9495263

The first ones I have, the second ones must be the newer version. Looks like the second ones have ipod controls on the in-line volume control.

• Members

I don't understand why people and companies include "for iPods" when talking about headphones, as if only certain headphones work with ipods or certain headphones sound better when used with an ipod. I dont know why, but it really bugs me.

Some headphones have controls in the cable that only work on iPods or iPhones. For example my NuForce NE-7M earphones have a button that can be used to change tracks or answer calls and also has a built-in mic.

• Members

sennheiser hd201's are comfortable and cheap. they're not thunderbass or superfizz... but they've got a good clear midrange, and they're definitely comfortable.. and if you break 'em for commuting you won't cry for $29.

i love 'em and use 'em at work where i wouldn't bring my grados or a pair of beyerdynamics to hitch up to the computer when it gets really loud.

• Members

That's crap. in-ear headphones attenuate outside sounds to a greater degree so you don't have to blast them as loud to hear whatever it is you're listening to.

Indeed. If they cause ear damage it's user error, probably because the users associate ear pain with listening, after using iPod earbuds for years... :cop:

I use the Senn in ears and not only do they sound fantastic but they block out most outside noise, such that I rarely ever have to turn the volume past 50%.

Way portable, too.

Archived