Dark-sounding poweramp valves

petejt

• Members

I know that JJ poweramp valves are dark, but they only make EL34 valves? :confused::idk:

Do they make 6L6 valves? and do they sound dark?

What other poweramp valves are renowned for a 'darker' quality.

This is a serious question, not just contemplating. I have just got a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 stereo poweramp and although the Mesa/Boogie str420 valves sound good, I want a darker sound out of it, without just lowering the presence or fussing too much with external EQ.

• Members

jj have el34,e34l,6l6gc,kt77,kt88,ect ect

So JJ's 6L6GC valves sound dark too?

What about their KT88s and KT77s? Could I possibly install JJ KT88 valves into my Mesa/Boogie 50/50? Or would they be physically too big to fit?

• Members

you got a 5050 ??

yup! the one you told me about too :thu:

It came with a pair of SED's and a pair of str420s, they sound ok but I want a more darker tone. I've been fiddling with the parametric EQ and the more I do that, the more the un-equalised tone sounds to what I want.

• Members

so , do you want a dark sounding tube? i like sovtek 5881 wgc in amps!

bullet proof, and last forever. wide bias range, sounds good hot or cold. one one the most sturdy tubes ever made. used in army equipment. nice woody tone, not quite as round as a 6l6.

• Members

so , do you want a dark sounding tube? i like sovtek 5881 wgc in amps!

bullet proof, and last forever. wide bias range, sounds good hot or cold. one one the most sturdy tubes ever made. used in army equipment. nice woody tone, not quite as round as a 6l6.

Thanks for the suggestion :thu: , nice to know of alternatives.

So far the only JJ valves I can find locally are the EL34 ones (or E34L whatever). I'd prefer to buy them locally. Sovteks seem more available locally so I'll give 'em a try, thanks!

What exactly do you mean as "not quite as round"? Do you mean they have a 'peaky' tone? If it is peaky, does it peak/spike in the thuddy lower-mids?

• Members

Maybe it's just me but I'm almost certain the power section of your amp will play maybe .000004% in darkening your overall sound.

That's what I am afraid of....

Well, the preamp tone going into the poweramp isn't that dark, but not super bright either. Kind of in the middle but definitely not boxy.

The mids are cranked, Lead Fat engaged for more low mids, the Treble is at 9 (near full), and the Bass kept low at 2. It sounds quite rounded.

• Members

A speaker change would be a much bigger difference in comparison.

I am using Electro Voice 12(M? or L?) 200 watt speakers with the 50/50. They have a more even sound, so I hope(d) that it'd bring out the thud a bit more, more thud in the lows due to the higher headroom.

I put the back onto the cab to help improve the bass response but it hasn't helped much. Don't get me wrong it doesn't sound tinny or farty at all, far from it, but still not what I am after.

• Members

Holy crap two bant-ones in my thread......and contrary to what a lot of whiners rat on them for, this thread proves they do contribute well to the forum.

Okay I'm heading out to Mount Lawley for some valve-shopping today.

Gonna try the Sovteks and if I can find them some JJ 6L6s.

Sucks that I am now between jobs again...this is going to be hard..

Archived