NGD!!! Also a few questions...

C-Dawg

• Members

I have been wanting to get a shred-type guitar for a while. I decided to get something that would kinda have the feel and appointments of a shredder (in B4 TMNT jokes), but without the look. So, I looked into PRS CU24s with the wide/thin neck. I finally found one, a 2005 20th Anniversary model. Here are the required pics:

DSC04316-resized.jpg

Group shot:

DSC04318-resized.jpg

Now for the questions:

1. I knew before getting the guitar that I would not like the pickups. Well, the neck one is OK, but the HFS totally sucks ass. I want to replace it, nao. To do so, can I still use the 5 way rotary system and use an aftermarket pickup (like a motorcity solution)? I seem to remember somewhere about the wiring being different on the pickups in these guitars. I want to keep the 5 way rotary switch to get those strat-like tones (which aren't that bad).

2. Does changing the pots on these improve the tone? It seems to be bright and brittle and I was wondering if getting some 500k pots and wiring it up would also help to fatten it up (I also seem to remember reading that the PRS guitars don't use 500k pots).

Let me know if I'm totally off-base here. Thanks!

• Members

1. Pickup switching doesn't change the selectability, unless you install a 2 wire lead pickup into a guitar outfitted with coil splitting or tapping electronics. Just follow the wiring diagrams that are always provided and it will be fine.

2. Tone improvement is entirely subjective, but I find 500k pots to be a little friendlier with humbuckers. Just ask Gibson.

3. Holy {censored}ing {censored}!! Those are some sexy guitars, man. HNGD!

• Members
I find the tone to be terribly brittle and bright. I want more tight bass and barky mids. Make sense?
:idk:

Is that in all modes or more in full Humbucker mode . The tone control help at all ? Perhaps a height adjustment may help :idk: Plenty of killer pickups out there though even PRS has a few . Enjoy that fine geetar ;)

• Members

Yeah, I've tried raising and lowering the pickup. The only tone I don't like is the all bridge position. I actually like the split settings and the neck pickup isn't that bad either. I really really like the guitar other than the bridge pickup.

Edit: And its not like I don't like PRS pickups. I find the Tremonti bridge to be an AWESOME pickup (I had it in a McCarty I used to have).

• Members

Group shot:

DSC04318-resized.jpg

One of these guitars is not like the other...

the PRS 5 way rotary switch is simply a switch. you should have no trouble wiring it up. I did not like the rotary switch because I could not switch pickups on the fly. It is much easier to switch pickups with the flick of your wrist. Anyway, I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and was out of phase with the PRS pickup. It didn't bother me but it might be for you.

• Members

One of these guitars is not like the other...

the PRS 5 way rotary switch is simply a switch. you should have no trouble wiring it up. I did not like the rotary switch because I could not switch pickups on the fly. It is much easier to switch pickups with the flick of your wrist. Anyway, I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and was out of phase with the PRS pickup. It didn't bother me but it might be for you.

Yeah, thats what I was worried about, the pickup being out of phase. Don't I have to flip the magnet around or something? At any rate, I guess the main reason I didn't want to get rid of the 5 way switch was to prevent having to get a push/pull pot to get the split coil sounds. I guess what I should do though is get a full pickup replacement along with changing out the electronics. That's gonna be expensive though, 'cus I want to try some MCP solutions in this guitar.

• Members
I thought putting in a 250k pot would actually make the pup less brittle sounding...or is that only with s/c? Hmmmmm..... Nice guitar you've got either way.

I think you are right :facepalm: . The more resistance, the brighter the sound I believe.

Archived