The Day I Lost Myself - VERSE 2?

Lee Knight

• Moderators

not intentional. I was aware of it but didn't think it would register. I'm glad you're pointing it out.

I'll switch some of the earlier rhymes so I can change those words. Thanks. Good input.

I'm trying to say, when you stop looking you find. And trying to score is no way to find the one. Ironically, when I did hit the bottom for other reasons, I lost myself and found you.

Or something like that. :)

• Moderators

It's not like I was lookin'

Or tryin' to connect

Much less than that on my mind

This 'by hook or by crookin'

Makes a heart suspect

S'what pulls you down in kind

Still, I was headed for mud

Slippin' with ease

Can't get much lower than that

It's not a question of

Subtle degrees

But more, "How low is the mat?"

• Members

I think you're 1st draft has sense to it - and is therefore preferable. It has mood.

The 2nd draft introduces the random element of slipping in the mud. Doesn't all tie together like Draft 1.

I don't find it sexual in a bad way - the language is oblique enough to work and not offend.

• Moderators

good stuff guys, thanks. Alright, draft 3.

It's not like I was lookin'

Or tryin' to hook up

Much less than that on my mind

This 'by hook or by crookin'

And all you cook up

Can pull you down in kind

Still, I was lookin' to drown

Slippin' with ease

Can't get much lower than that

It's not a question of

Subtle degrees

But more, "How low is the mat?"

• Moderators

Lee... it's probably my very limited lyrical writing skills speaking here, but is there an overall message/story arc you are aiming for?

:)

Great question. Honestly, I'm trying to keep away from a story... and more about vibe and sound. As I mentioned in the initial thread earlier, this will be a garage fuzzy guitar sort of atmosphere. So really, I want it to be a little bit of nonsense. Though there is logic the lyric, all that really matters to me (I think) is that we get the idea that once he hit bottom he found her.

And I not sure this thing I'm hearing in my head would be made more effective if things were spelled out clearer. I don't know that for a fact, but that's the experiment, I guess.

Having said all that ^, does anyone feel that it should be made more clear? That I should drop some linguistic ear candy for more of a story? Personally, I don't really know.

Archived