How much for a Single Recto?

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If its a buyers market right now. Keep looking for a dual.

If it only costs you $100 more you regret getting the single.

I went to buy a single because of the price. and the amp felt dead to me. and IMO didn't have the recto thunk I wanted.

I will never get rid of my dual. I use it more than my Engl

• Members
Is the Dual Recto any better then the single?

I haven't seen any for $850
:idk:

The guy said he could do $785.
:mad:

I've never played a single. However, it is nice having all the extra options that the dual has.

I do like the sound of the tube rectifiers, but I mainly keep it on the diode setting. The tube rec IMO sounds chunkier, and has a lot more sag. The diodes are a lot tighter and a bit more harsh.

I'd recommend a cab with V30s and also invest in a 10 band EQ as well. Throw that bitch in the loop and hack off some of the bass and fizzy highs.

Keep the mids up, somwhere between 12 and 3:00. I like the gain around 10:00, but with a boost up front.

• Members

reading the reviews, what's the deal with this? Is there a gap?
"Overall Rating : 4
Here's the deal and the main reason i am writing this review. The amp was definitely the best sounding and most versitile amp i had brought home in a long time, but i must warn you all who are thinking of buying this amp that when you swich from the clean channel to the lead channel there is a significant gap in your sound before the lead channel kicks in. I mean going from clean instantly into distortion is not an option. It sounds just like if someone was to flick your stanby switch off then on again the instant you change channels. I'm sorry but nothing i have ever owned has done that and it sucks. I took it back after living with it for three weeks. I rely on getting from clean to dirty instantly for the dynamics of the songs we play and i am the only guitarist in the band so it is really noticable. By the way i e-mailed one of the other reviewers here who loves the sound of this amp too, and his also does this but he is willing to live with this in order to keep the great tones this amp has,i however cannot live with an $1100 amp that swiches as badly as this does for what i have to accomplish live, but i can respect his loyalty. I also did not give up hope on the rest of the single recto line, and tried there reverb and combo models but they also did the same thing. Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do to such a great sounding amp. Just wanted you to consider these things before you jumped in to the single recto. Thanx for listening

• Members

reading the reviews, what's the deal with this? Is there a gap?

"Overall Rating : 4

Here's the deal and the main reason i am writing this review. The amp was definitely the best sounding and most versitile amp i had brought home in a long time, but i must warn you all who are thinking of buying this amp that when you swich from the clean channel to the lead channel there is a significant gap in your sound before the lead channel kicks in. I mean going from clean instantly into distortion is not an option. It sounds just like if someone was to flick your stanby switch off then on again the instant you change channels. I'm sorry but nothing i have ever owned has done that and it sucks. I took it back after living with it for three weeks. I rely on getting from clean to dirty instantly for the dynamics of the songs we play and i am the only guitarist in the band so it is really noticable. By the way i e-mailed one of the other reviewers here who loves the sound of this amp too, and his also does this but he is willing to live with this in order to keep the great tones this amp has,i however cannot live with an $1100 amp that swiches as badly as this does for what i have to accomplish live, but i can respect his loyalty. I also did not give up hope on the rest of the single recto line, and tried there reverb and combo models but they also did the same thing. Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do to such a great sounding amp. Just wanted you to consider these things before you jumped in to the single recto. Thanx for listening

Yup, there is a gap. The mute circuit covers what would otherwise be a pop.

The older 2 channel rectos have a different switching design. I briefly had a blackface revison F which switched with no pops or gaps in sound. My least fav thing about the Single Rec...

• Members

I remember hearing the series 1 had the pop, and Mesa's solution was to cover it with the mute circuit which was introduced for series II. If you get an older Recto, like Vic says, you shouldn't have that problem. You will, of course, have more amp. I bought a revision F earlier this year and sold it because it wasn't right for me. I think Vic also has a revision F, and like his, mine switched silently with no gap. I think the common revision G models should also be silent. You can read about rectifier revisons and switching here:

http://www.theboogiearchives.com/

Archived