A concensus yet on the best current production EL34???

richedie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats a good answer. You won't ever know until you try them.

I use SED EL34's for everything, however the new Shuguang

EL34 BHT is showing some excellent test results on my bench.

I'll know in a few days, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to

add that tube to my list of goods.

Looks great on the scope, and the tone is what I like.

We'll see.Doug

Doug from Doug's tubes told me to try the BHT's as well. He says the HIFI people are lov'n them.

Good to hear from an amp builder about these too since guitar amps aren't HIFI.

Think I'll pick up a pair soon and try them out which is how I test all the tubes I use. I have alot of power tubes in my drawer hehe.

• Members
I can't say they're any better or any worse than the SED.

They do sound good, and so far have held up under some heavy

conditions. My only concern is for how long?

I should know soon.

Well I've tried most of the current production EL34 power tubes available now. I haven't tried the EH EL34, JJ El34, Mullard RI and now the BHT yet. I'm not interested in the EH or the JJ but I will try the Mullard and the BHT some time.

So I'm interested in what you find when you get there.:thu:

• Members

There are five companies making EL34's at present and all brands are made by one of these five, listed from cheapest to most expensive.
1. Sovtek EL34-WXT (Makes EH, Mesa, and Groove Tubes as well as OEM tubes/many amp companies)
2. JJ E34L & JJ EL34 (Made by Tesla in Slovakia)
3. Ruby EL34B-STR (Made by Shuguang in China)
4. Tung-Sol EL34B & Mullard EL34 reissue (Made by Reflektor in Russia)
5. SED "Winged" C EL34B (Made by Sevetlana in USA)

• Members

There are five companies making EL34's at present and all brands are made by one of these five, listed from cheapest to most expensive.

1. Sovtek EL34-WXT (Makes EH, Mesa, and Groove Tubes as well as OEM tubes/many amp companies)

2. JJ E34L & JJ EL34 (Made by Tesla in Slovakia)

3. Ruby EL34B-STR (Made by Shuguang in China)

4. Tung-Sol EL34B & Mullard EL34 reissue (Made by Reflektor in Russia)

5. SED "Winged" C EL34B (Made by Sevetlana in USA)

Tesla is a separate entity from JJ. JJ just makes there tubes with old Tesla tools. Tesla is shut down and doesn't make tubes from what I'm reading:

http://www.jacmusic.com/tesla/tesla-jj.html

Here is some more info on these manufacturers if anyone cares to read:

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/9285-tesla-jj-myth-along-groove-tubess-false-marketing-tactics.html

• Members

JJ Electronic is a former subsidiary corporation of Tesla, now owned and operated by a US company in Slovakia. Most of Tesla's divisions have ceased operations.

I don't see this...

Quoted from above link:

There is a common misunderstanding in the internet called TESLA-JJ tubes. I don't know which duck invented this word, but such tubes don't exist. There are TESLA tubes, and there are JJ tubes, both made in different factories, by different people, with different technologies. Only the machines are the same, and in the Tesla days they were new, and now they are old. The used materials definitely are not the same. TESLA has used the cathodes from the former TESLA Rosnov factory, but this factory is closed now. Also wires, and nickel technology came from Tesla plants that are all closed now. Cathodes are elementary for tube performance.

Archived