Les Paul/24 3/4" scale length dudes....what string gauge for B standard tuning?

peavey_impact

• Members

At least 12s, but probably 13s. I'm running 11s on a Les Paul tuned to C# standard (occasionally drop B) and that's about as light a gauge as I can go in that tuning. I'd put 12s on but I occasionally tune it up to standard and I'm also a fan of lighter gauge strings on that guitar since the action is insanely low. I can't imagine anything less than 12s holding up in B though and 13s would probably have a better string tension overall.

• Members

I run 13s in Eb
:eek:

I suggest you just but a 7 string set and not use the high E, I've done that when I wanted to try "14s"

Damn, that's pretty heavy. I have run 12s in E before and It sounded good, but I couldn't play fast runs and leads very well. If I played stuff that was a little slower or more straight up rock I would definitely use heavy-assed strings for sure. I love the feel and tone.

• Members

Go with a 58 or 60 gauge. 60 would be better.

Ernie Balls have a nice brightness and sparkle in their attack that works well for downtuned guitars. d'addario's and boomers are a touch lacking in that regard.

Ernie Balls=Bright?? been playing them for close to 15 years, and they are definitely not on the bright side.. D Addarios are pretty well known for their brightness..

I guess we all hear things different..

• Members

Damn, that's pretty heavy. I have run 12s in E before and It sounded good, but I couldn't play fast runs and leads very well.
If I played stuff that was a little slower or more straight up rock I would definitely use heavy-assed strings for sure. I love the feel and tone.

You just described exactly what I do.

I used to play metal years ago and used 13s in drop C so I just tuned my guitars back up and played much slower riffs, the strings just stuck

• Members

I think it feels awesome. I like it better than on my 25.5 guitars for whatever reason.

I could never get the action to feel right on my Schecter. I strung it with a set of 7-string strings - minus the high E, but anything below standard C still felt rubbery to me, and the tone was muddy and awful. I guess I'm just a longer scale type of player.

• Members

I could never get the action to feel right on my Schecter. I strung it with a set of 7-string strings - minus the high E, but anything below standard C still felt rubbery to me, and the tone was muddy and awful. I guess I'm just a longer scale type of player.

Sounds more like you couldn't get the guitar set up properly. If it is set up well for low tunings and you are using the right gauge it will be just as tight and crisp as any other guitar. At least in my experience that's the way its been.

Of course the overall feel between the two scale lengths is still different and you may just like 25.5 better.

• Members

Sounds more like you couldn't get the guitar set up properly. If it is set up well for low tunings and you are using the right gauge it will be just as tight and crisp as any other guitar. At least in my experience that's the way its been.

Of course the overall feel between the two scale lengths is still different and you may just like 25.5 better.

I didn't have a pro set it up, but I did do a lot of tweaking to the nut and truss rod. What I found was that there's almost a drop off point in tension when you get down to a certain level. I had to relax my picking hand quite a bit, and dial up the gain to compansate. It was fun to shred on, but I like to be able to dig in to the notes a little more.

• Members

I didn't have a pro set it up, but I did do a lot of tweaking to the nut and truss rod. What I found was that there's almost a drop off point in tension when you get down to a certain level. I had to relax my picking hand quite a bit, and dial up the gain to compansate. It was fun to shred on, but I like to be able to dig in to the notes a little more.

That's different than my experience. I have to have a tight feel on the lower strings for the palm-muted triplet stuff I do and I have no problem attaining that on either of my Les Pauls.

• Members

That's different than my experience. I have to have a tight feel on the lower strings for the palm-muted triplet stuff I do and I have no problem attaining that on either of my Les Pauls.

What do you tune to? It was definitely usable for Standard C/drop B type stuff, but every time I got into Low A territory, I ran into the problems I mentioned.

• Members

I'm in C# standard. I use 11-56 and 12-56 and the strings are very tight for me on both of my LPs. I use 11-56 on my standard and it's tighter than my custom which I am using 12-56s on now.

Also, I see that you are drop tuning. I don't do that, it's always standard in whatever tuning I'm in, so that may be why our experiences differ.

• Members

I'm in C# standard. I use 11-56 and 12-56 and the strings are very tight for me on both of my LPs. I use 11-56 on my standard and it's tighter than my custom which I am using 12-56s on now.

Also, I see that you are drop tuning. I don't do that, it's always standard in whatever tuning I'm in, so that may be why our experiences differ.

That sounds about right to me. I can get away with 10-52s for that tuning on my parker, although it's not my preferred tension. Interesting that two guitars with the same dimensions can vary like that.

Archived