Vox V212BN cab

Zoidberg

• Members

have anyone used/tried this cab?

I need a new cab soon, and I've got little cash. I'll be using the cab with a 50w tube head.

The fact that the cab is cheap and seems decent makes it attractive too me. I like the Vox-looks too. I've heard some people saying it's a pretty good cab actually. Another positive is that it's supposed to be pretty light-weight for a 2x12 cab.

2x12ext.jpg

Maybe I'll have to look into swapping speakers tho?

It has two 30w speakers as far as I know, so maybe it would be a good idea to swap to higher wattage speakers? For instance a pair of Eminence Red Fangs?

• Members

The post above is horrible, for the love of god delete it!

If that's the cab with wharfdales, I'd go so far as to say it probably won't sound great, though it is indeed a cool looking cab.

In relation to what?

In relation to boutique-cabs?

Or do you mean to say that I'll just plain stink? :)

• Members

In relation to what? I don't know... it'll sound worse than something that sounds better? :confused: I'm no expert or anything, but I've got an ac30 that came with two of the speakers that are in that cab, and I don't think the speakers were very good. They sounded kinda stiff, fizzy, "Plasticy" and not great. They're voiced a bit like bad greenbacks I think. I swapped them out for celestion blues, they sounded much better. But I don't think you'd need to spend that much to beat the wharfdale GSH speakers. At the end of the day it's your call, son!

• Members

I've got the 1x12 night train cab. It's got a good speaker in - a celestion greenback. I've posted a clip of the night train head+cab combo on this forum. What kind of sound are you looking for, and what do you want to plug into it?

I'm going to be using a Koch Twintone 50w head.

It's going to be used as an all-round amp in my apartment, or probably mostly for dirty tones if I find that I'll use it live. I have Silverface Fenders for cleans and normally use pedals for other tones.

I play lead in a indie-rockish band, so I mostly use clean and overdriven tones. Nothing too heavy.

The Twintone can be used at 4 and 8 ohms.

Which probably is a problem, seeing as the Vox cabs are 16 ohms stock?

And the speaker in the Nighttrain-cab is 25watts from what I understand, so is the head too powerful at 50 tube watts anyways?

• Members

I've got the 1x12 night train cab. It's got a good speaker in - a celestion greenback. I've posted a clip of the night train head+cab combo on this forum. What kind of sound are you looking for, and what do you want to plug into it?

I like this cab. but I read a review that said it was particle board. Zat true?

• Members

The Twintone can be used at 4 and 8 ohms.

Which probably is a problem, seeing as the Vox cabs are 16 ohms stock?

And the speaker in the Nighttrain-cab is 25watts from what I understand, so is the head too powerful at 50 tube watts anyways?

Yeah that's true, would need a speaker with a higher rating.

I like this cab. but I read a review that said it was particle board. Zat true?

I'll check tomorrow. What difference does this actually make on the tone? It feels like a solid cab, and it sounds like it's resonating ok.

Archived