When The Buzzer Went

Johnny Engine

• Members

Hello there, relatively new here.

Just wrote a song that I'm completely tickled pink about. I wanted to throw it up here for comments, questions, advice, whatever, because it deals with some rather specific subject matter and would like to get an impression from people who have no prior knowledge of me, and may not have any idea what I might be getting at. I may get some audio of this later on.

I guess the only necessary exposition here would be that I'm from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. That doesn't give away anything, and would be obvious to anyone who saw me perform, but it may frame a few things.

V1

we came out to skate around

down at the stadium

the smell of vinegar and the paint, still drying out

and over our little heads

banners and painted signs, oh they shout to wish you well

C1

it's getting better for you

chasing a dragon to far off lands

like Ontario or the states

but this time we'll be only wanting more

yeah I've been disappointed

for sometimes it's disappointing

for sometimes they leave you wanting more

V2

we came out to waste our time

down at the college bar

the weight of the winter months, they're gone, it's lifted up

in front of the TV screen

believe in what you can see, breakin' out yeah, give them hell!

C2

killing the dragon from far off lands

like Alberta or in the south

B

and time again you come back up now

and time again we go back down now (go back down now)

V3

we drank our faces off

down at Distortion

the electricity in the air was building up

and when the buzzer went

that's when the party plans came out, who's going down?

C3

but I see the dragon in every place

like in Michigan or right here

Infinite love to anyone who by some miracle knows what this could be about.

• Members

O.K., I'll give it a shot. Protagonist is a minor league (or college? or high school?) hockey player who is never going to make it to the big league. His buddy makes it to the big league. Protagonist and other guys stuck back home watch big shot buddy on TV while they're getting plastered at the local sports bar. Life gets better and better for big shot buddy while protagonist wastes away in the minor league. Am I close?

I really like the lyrics. Not a rhyme in sight, but they still have great rhythm and flow. Good imagery, too. I'd like to hear some audio.

• Members

Everyone: The music, melody et al exists, but like hell you're hearing the sleep-addled Mac photobooth version of the song. I may record an acoustic demo today.

Monkey Uncle: Thanks a lot. You're at least on about the part about watching a guy (not exactly a friend, about 7 years older than me) come up to the NHL, and the fact that I'm never going to make it in pro hockey, haha. But it is from a fan's perspective, and the "dragon" serves a double meaning of both an objective, but also addiction (alcoholism in this case). If anyone thinks that should be made clearer, I'd be interested in hearing how.

Also, to fine-tooth comb this, I'm wondering about a couple of lines

For the last "place names" line:

"Like in Michigan or right here now" - is pretty succinct, but leaves me feeling like it could say more

"Like in Michigan or out east" - follows the tradition of "province/state name -> vague direction" of other similar lines, but ignores the fact that Newfoundland is the here and now of the verse

"Like in Michigan or St. John's" - more specific, but ignores the site of the second party alluded to, and the actual hometown of the characters

"Like in Detroit or Harbour Grace" - completely changes the phrasing of the part (maybe ok on the last chorus), creates a rhyme, makes the subject of the song blaringly obvious to anyone with a passing familiarity of it. Some might think this is a good think, I might feel uncomfortably naked singing it.

Secondly, I'm second guessing the title line.

I'd really like it to be built around "...when the buzzer...", but the word "went" is bugging me, because it's one of those stupid non-specific words that mean "did something." Problem is, most words I can think of to replace it are the the wrong number of syllables. Perhaps a demo would enlighten people as to how the phrasing should work, and that might help.

Thanks so far!

• Moderators

I like a lot of the language. It has a cool voice to it. It would help me to see how you've got it mapped out structure-wise by maybe putting a V1 for verse 1 and C1 chorus 1 and B for bridge. That way I can see how your structure is flowing. How your rhyme scheme is holding up. That kind of stuff. As it stands, it's a little too much for me to digest as flowing paragraphs.

and by the way, this seems like the kind of thing that would work even not knowing what it is you're really addressing specifically. It has an interesting story line even not really knowing the storyline. If you know what I mean.

• Members

Lee: The first post is edited for your convenience. As for the second comment, that was exactly what I hoped to find out by posting it here. I tend to view songs as kind of multipurpose, where to me the story is specific and clear, and for an audience in St. John's, I'd hope to get a big reaction to "We drank our faces off/down at Distortion," and for everyone else, I hope they'd react the same way you did there.

Oswlek: I'm a bit rhythm obsessive, so I don't think I'm really trying to jam things in here. The verses and part of the chorus are structured so that the vocals are rapid-fire triplets over a very simple chunk-chunk guitar, while other parts of the chorus smooth out and invite lots of harmonies. That's not to say that there isn't a line or several that aren't sitting as well as they could, but we'll find that out when I get a demo up.

• Members

Well, it can't be that way in particular, since the dragon line would be awkward to start with, but I will consider clipping something.

It should be noted that the chorus has a bit of a two-part feel, musically, with the real action starting with "this time we'll..."

I'd also hate to clip out the place names, if only because the phrase "chasing a dragon to far off lands...like Ontario" makes me laugh.

...not to be an impossible snooty artiste or anything.

Think is, really need to get that demo up so it makes a little more sense.

Archived