Shiva or Legacy?

Pete

• Members

Just heard a youtube clip of a Shiva and holy {censored} it sounded sick! I have a carvin legacy and the shiva sounded more aggressive with about the same amount of gain or maybe a tad more.

For people who have tried both...how does a shiva stack up against a legacy?

I read somewhere that shiva now has bright switches so not shure if they remodeled the amp sound wise....

• Members

The Shiva is a more aggressive sounding amp even though IMO the Shiva and Legacy have the same amount of gain levels.

The Shiva is voiced brighter and more upper-mid focused whereas the Legacy is a tad darker and more low-mid focused.

You can't go wrong with either amp IMO. Just depends on what kinda tones you like.

• Members

Prices don't seem too bad on the used market.

I didn't know a Shiva had that much gain, always thought it was suited for hard rock max.

So would you guys say Shiva's capable of 80's metal without separate boost pedal?

• Members

I didn't know a Shiva had that much gain, always thought it was suited for hard rock max.

So would you guys say Shiva's capable of 80's metal without separate boost pedal?

I've heard it just falls short of 80's metal.

• Members

They have more gain than people on the internet think.

I've gigged and recorded one in an Evanescence/Lacuna Coil-type band without a boost in front without issues. Honestly, it didn't have that much less gain than my TSL, and was a much nicer voicing.

• Members

This isn't really a fair comparison. The Shiva is a boutique amp while the Legacy is widely regarded as a great value amp with a lot of bang for the buck. It stands to reason that the Bogner will beat the Carvin, but it's up to you to decide of those extra dollars you're going to be parting with are worth the difference.

• Members

no drop in sound dude, and the reverb is to die for.

I've read the opposite about it, people have mentioned a drop in volume when activated.

I think this is to keep the reverb from affecting the tone when it's not used....correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived