Symphony of Destruction...

Chezdon

• Members

My band want to play this song. I've never properly learnt it, so decided to last night. I thought it was quite an easy song but the solo is :eek:

It sounds slow and quite straight forward, but I've quickly found out that it isn't.

Anyone here able to play it?

They also want me to learn Hangar 18 but I just lulzd at them.

CBSx10

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah ToS isn't even worth thinking about for me.

It's funny because they think that because I can play Iron Maiden/Metallica solos that I should be able to do Megadeth no probs.

I suppose if you don't play guitar you wouldn't really realise much more complex they are.

Can't watch vid as am at work but will do ;)

• Members

I can do most of it. My hand get's a little cramped for room at the very end when he does that sweepy thing at the 24th fret. I've been meaning to look for a more efficient way to play that line.

It took me a long time to get the bends at the beginning of the song down to sound like marty.

TOS solo is pretty straight forward until the very end as well.

• Members
My band plays it. It is a little tricky during the arps, before the turn around to the pentatonic part. Everything else is pretty manageable though.

:idk:

How long you been playing?

The last note sounds tricky as well - catching both strings on the 17th fret after fiddling around the 15th and 12th doesn't look easy.

So is this a Mave solo, not a Marty one?

Where is the 24th fret played in the solo?

• Members

I can play it, not as good as Jeff Waters. I forgot most of it by now but yeah that solo can be a bit tricky.

Marty's solos aren't very fast but they implement a lot of technique that I don't normally use.

Then out of nowhere he bursts into a really fast run that lasts quite a few measures and across the fretboard.

Get the phrases down at a slow tempo then work your way up.

• Members

No, but reading it back it really was a poor attempt at humour so I apologise.

I'm just too used to playing pentatonic wanky solos and this solo seems to have a lot more randomness to it

Which is why it's easy to fudge your way through.:poke:

• Members

No, but reading it back it really was a poor attempt at humour so I apologise.

I'm just too used to playing pentatonic wanky solos and this solo seems to have a lot more randomness to it.

I know how you feel.

I always felt really comfortable playing Mustaine solos.

When I'd play Marty solos it was just completely different.

Technique, approach, scales, etc.

I couldn't figure out his stuff quickly so I tried to improvise on some parts and it just did not work.

• Members

Which is why it's easy to fudge your way through.:poke:

Yeah I'd rather not look like a complete fool up on stage. I know if I saw some guitarist playing a poor excuse for a solo for this song I'd be a snob about it.

I'll have to come up with something though, because the rest of the song is so easy it's one song that the whole band can comfortably play.

• Members

Jeff Waters' version is probably the best I've ever heard aside from the original as far as capturing not only the notes but the subtle stuff of vibrato, inflections, general vibe etc... dude's a badass guitarist. I kinda could care less for Annihilator but eh.

As for myself I sat down with my guitar just now and learned a bit of it; I think I could get it but the stickiest thing would be what picking pattern to use during that diminished arp run. Fingering wise it's no cakewalk but it's not too bad... I don't think I'm gonna put too much effort in but god damn is it ever a badass solo though. Great phrasing, great playing, great attitude.

• Members

Since when do you have to play the solo note for note?

Just wing it and make it sound good.

This!

Also, sometimes you have to think, "What solo would I play if Megadeth were auditioning me with this song?" Then you play that at practice, see if the band likes it, and go with that at your show(s).

• Members

Jeff Waters' version is probably the best I've ever heard aside from the original as far as capturing not only the notes but the subtle stuff of vibrato, inflections, general vibe etc... dude's a badass guitarist. I kinda could care less for Annihilator but eh.

As for myself I sat down with my guitar just now and learned a bit of it; I think I could get it but the stickiest thing would be what picking pattern to use during that diminished arp run. Fingering wise it's no cakewalk but it's not too bad... I don't think I'm gonna put too much effort in but god damn is it ever a badass solo though. Great phrasing, great playing, great attitude.

Tell me about it. He must've presented that solo to the rest of the band with a big grin on his face.

Archived