Construction guys inside please->

Lucius

• Members

So I have a bathroom fan that vents the air outside. After a shower the vent will drip water. I peaked in the attic and found that the vent tubing is not insulated. Is this the reason it leaks after a shower (it doesnt' leak during a rain or anything like that). Show I insulate and with what? Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Condensation is forming inside and dripping back towards the fan. This is bad for the fan and the tubing, especially if it's not vinyl.

I'd dry to shorten the run if possible, and if not, then pitch the tubing towards the vent hood outside, not towards the fan like it is now.

• Members

how long is it ..?
Looks to be about 4 feet long.

What material is the ducting?
I'll have to check but I think its plastic (my memory ain't so good)

I'd dry to shorten the run if possible, and if not, then pitch the tubing towards the vent hood outside, not towards the fan like it is now.

I'll give that a try.

Do you guys think I should insulate it? Also, note that it only drips when it is cold outside

• Members

Also check out your louvres on your vent hood (the piece outside)... If they're stuck open, the pipe will get very cold, and cause condensate to form much faster inside of the pipe when the fan is being used.

Insulating it will help, but your attic must be FREEZING in the first place for this to happen anyway, especially over only a four foot span...

Check the louvres and give the pipe a little pitch (a 1/4 inch per foot should be more than sufficient.)

• Members
I have never seen a bathroom vent go to the outside in Wisconsin. Stack for the toilet yes.What do you do for a living Bubbluz.

It does not go to the outside. It is pointed towards a vent on the outside but not directly connected. There is about 4 inches to the vent. That doesn't seem good now that I think about it. Warm moist air in place where air can circulate sounds like a mold problem. Now I feel really bad please make me feel better and tell me its okay :lol: . Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I have never seen a bathroom vent go to the outside in Wisconsin. Stack for the toilet yes.What do you do for a living Bubbluz.

I did factory work for years,presently I'm in the disaster restoration/construction field.

I have lots of buddies in the construction business as well,I thought it was accepted to vent any warm moist air to the outside.

It is up here in Canada anyway,I'm surprised that you don't see it in Wisconsin.

Lucius being in Victoria,you wouldn't have quite the temperature extremes as we do in Ontario,but it should still be vented outside.

Lots of fly-by -night builders and handymen just cut corners and leave pain in the ass jobs unfinished.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/546_Bathroom_Fan_Ventilation.shtml

• Members

He's not talking about venting for the drainage system. He's talking about a vent for the fan. Two totally different things.

Archived