Would it be safe to do this???

I<3breakdowns

• Members

I have a fender cyber twin combo (older version) and are gonna start playing a few shows soon. me and my friend/other guitarist were trying to decide whether it would be safe to connect the output, that would normally go into a PA or computer, into his crate 412 to get some extra power and loudness and stuff while he uses a different 412 and 212. so that basically we would have the same type setup instead of him blowing me away with his 412. but we werent really sure if it would be safe to do this, or even if it would work. any advice??:confused:

you can tell i dont know too much about this stuff yet. thats why im asking. :lol:

• Members

I have a fender cyber twin combo (older version) and are gonna start playing a few shows soon. me and my friend/other guitarist were trying to decide whether it would be safe to connect the output, that would normally go into a PA or computer, into his crate 412 to get some extra power and loudness and stuff while he uses a different 412 and 212. so that basically we would have the same type setup instead of him blowing me away with his 412. but we werent really sure if it would be safe to do this, or even if it would work. any advice??
:confused:

you can tell i dont know too much about this stuff yet. thats why im asking.
:lol:

That's a line or instrument level out, rather than an amplified signal. Essentially the preamp before the power section. You could accomplish what you described by putting a power amp in between your amp and the speaker cabinet.

edit: You need something that will amplify the signal in order to power 4 12 inch speakers. It's the same thing as trying to plug an ipod into a 4x12

• Members
That's a line or instrument level out, rather than an amplified signal. Essentially the preamp before the power section. You could accomplish what you described by putting a power amp in between your amp and the speaker cabinet.

edit: You need something that will amplify the signal in order to power 4 12 inch speakers. It's the same thing as trying to plug an ipod into a 4x12

okay i see what your sayiing. but there are 2 preamp speakers in the combo already. wouldnt those sort of power it? and the 4 12 and my combo are close in wattage too.

sorry if i sound stupid. not too much experience with this stuff quite yet. just trying to learn. ;)

• Members
okay i see what your sayiing. but there are 2 preamp speakers in the combo already. wouldnt those sort of power it? and the 4 12 and my combo are close in wattage too.

sorry if i sound stupid. not too much experience with this stuff quite yet. just trying to learn.
;)

No. There are two speakers, being powered by the power amp. The direct/recording outputs split the signal BEFORE the power amplifier. Therefore you would require some sort of power amplifier to increase the amplitude of the signal before you could get any appreciable volume from a cabinet.

• Members

sorry if i sound stupid. not too much experience with this stuff quite yet. just trying to learn.
;)

Here's how it works

Guitar -> Preamp -> Poweramp -> Speakers

unless it's a TINY speaker, you need some sort of power source to push it.

The preamp does most of the tone shaping and applies a lot of the amp's 'tone'. The power amp is mainly to amplify the signal, though depending on the amp design, this stage can also have a huge effect on perceived tone.

Your combo has a preamp and a power amp built into it. On most amps, the preamp and the power amp are combined in the same head shell/box. A lot of combo's come with a speaker out, that lets you use an external speaker cabinet. Sometimes in addition too, or in replacement of the combo speakers. It just depends on the amp.

Your amp doesn't have that functionality it doesn't sound like.

• Members

We all learn somehow
:p
You probably weren't on the internet at his age. Trust me, everyone has that friend that thinks they totally know how to do something like this when they are young.

Yea I know, that is why I dod not go into a huge rant about it. I just laugh because I remember the times it was me in this position.

• Members

okay i see what you guys are saying. and yeah ive seen amps with a speaker out in it. i just wish mine had one. oh well. i guess i just gotta crank the hell out of it now. which is sooo much fun to do

Yeah, it's just one of those things. If you ever seen any rack gear, people usually buy a preamp unit in 1 box, and then a separate power amp. I mentioned that both can have a huge impact on tone and 'feel' and rack setups let users separate those components to find an ideal combination.

Speakers themselves are passive pieces of technology. They react to a supplied input signal, but don't have any power or ability to make noise without something pushing them. Obviously bigger/more speakers require more power to push them.

• Members
Yea I know, that is why I dod not go into a huge rant about it. I just laugh because I remember the times it was me in this position.

The sad thing is that this guy probably has more passion and drive to play guitar than we do :facepalm:

There are ups and downs to being newer to guitar playing :p

• Members

Yeah, it's just one of those things. If you ever seen any rack gear, people usually buy a preamp unit in 1 box, and then a separate power amp. I mentioned that both can have a huge impact on tone and 'feel' and rack setups let users separate those components to find an ideal combination.

Speakers themselves are passive pieces of technology. They react to a supplied input signal, but don't have any power or ability to make noise without something pushing them. Obviously bigger/more speakers require more power to push them.

yeah that all makes sense. thankkkssss for the help

• Members
The sad thing is that this guy probably has more passion and drive to play guitar than we do
:facepalm:

There are ups and downs to being newer to guitar playing
:p

yeah i sorta do have a LOT of drive to playing now. my dads a Professional so it sorta runs in my blood. he says i sound way better than he ever did at my age which made me feel like i could take it far. ive only been playing for 3 years too. sooo im feeling pretty good about the way things are coming along right now.

Archived