This is complete BS

Brick

• Members

Dec. 18) -- Ricardo Dominguez describes himself an "artivist" -- a cross between an artist and activist -- and he calls his newest act of civil disobedience a "Transborder Immigrant Tool."

It's a cheap Motorola cell phone retrofitted with GPS technology. Dominguez, an associate professor of new media arts at the University of California, San Diego, hopes to get the tool into the hands of people making the treacherous crossing of the U.S.-Mexico border on the so-called Devil's Highway.

"It's designed to save lives. It's not going to promote the crossing or stop the crossing," says Dominguez, 50, who developed the technology with other researchers at the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology.

Ricardo Dominguez

The Transborder Immigrant Tool is stoking some fiery reactions."In terms of the civil disobedience we follow, we consider the right of safe passage to be a trans-global right," he adds. "What happens once an immigrant gets here, that's a national discussion."

The Transborder Immigrant Tool was inspired by a university colleague of Dominguez's who developed a Virtual Hiker Tool to help him keep his bearings during desert hikes. The Transborder Immigrant Tool will give the user basic orientation, distance from destination, and the location of water. (It will also be loaded with short, haiku-like poems written by poet Amy Carroll. "We wanted to have a hospitality tool," Dominguez says of the poems. "At the core of the poems is a rethinking of the idea that good fences make good neighbors. Borders do not make good neighbors. We should be welcoming.")

The tool, which will cost less than $30 per unit, is undergoing field testing and tweaking. Dominguez has so far collected $15,000 in grants to fund its development and rollout, and by next summer, his plan is to have churches and groups like Border Angels and No Mas Muertes distribute the phones and train users on their features.

Ricardo Dominguez

Ricardo Dominguez, designer of the Transborder Immigrant Tool, is accused of "aiding and abetting criminals."The information in the phone will be good for only four days, and instead of a traditional triangulated GPS technology, they will use a "single-bounce" system. They will be encrypted to avoid detection by the Border Patrol and other authorities.

Predictably, Dominguez's invention has stoked some fiery reactions.

"He's aiding and abetting criminals," said Barbara Coe, co-founder and chairwoman of California Coalition for Immigration Reform. "But the government will do nothing to stop him because the more immigrants who come, the happier they are."

Mark Cromer, a fellow at Californians for Population Stabilization, wrote: "Dominguez and his fellow travelers at UCSD -- well-meaning as they may indeed be -- are deploying technology that could have come right off the Christmas wish list of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and big agribusiness hungry for cheap labor." Cromer went on to ask: "I wonder how it will play with the American workers who now fill the unemployment lines?"

Dominguez, though, is unfazed. "Anything that destabilizes the border," he says, "is going to create critiques."

Discuss :snax:

• Members
What's up beautiful?
:love:

{censored}ing snow has ruined my plans for the day and the night and maybe the rest of the weekend too.

:facepalm:

I was planning to borrow a friends pickup and move a bunch of {censored} into storage and then in the evening taking my girl to see a play in DC. The play might still happen but the moving of crap is definitely off.

:mad:

Oh well more time to beat off to scat pron...:idea:

• Members

AW {censored} IM THE FIRST WITH THIS REFERENCE

brj2UkUPjCI

now, srsly, thats hilarious. I love it when people get up in arms when people make devices designed to preserve human life. Oh man, USA, this increases the chance of you removing yourselves from the position of annoying fat kid on the playground that nobody likes.

• Members
{censored}ing snow has ruined my plans for the day and the night and maybe the rest of the weekend too.

:facepalm:

I was planning to borrow a friends pickup and move a bunch of {censored} into storage and then in the evening taking my girl to see a play in DC. The play might still happen but the moving of crap is definitely off.

:mad:

Oh well more time to beat off to scat pron...
:idea:

It's been a while since I've seen snow. :cry:

Can't say I'm enjoying it.

• Members

now, srsly, thats hilarious. I love it when people get up in arms when people make devices designed to preserve human life. Oh man, USA, this increases the chance of you removing yourselves from the position of annoying fat kid on the playground that nobody likes.

Why don't we just keep them moving up north and let Canadia deal with them then??

• Members

Why don't we just keep them moving up north and let Canadia deal with them then??

they cant handle the gr1m and fr0zstb1tten n0rth. DUH.

plus, how the hell would you convince your penny pinching people and HEAVILY indebted government to fund moving mexicans north, when sending them back too mexico is so much cheaper. Hell, half the reason they dont do jack all about the border is because it costs a tiny morsel of money that is clearly just TOO much to be justified.

• Members
The majority of hispanic people identify themselves as white you stupid {censored}ing crackers.

Citation needed... :cop:

Spaniards are traditionally white Europeans. Hispanics for the most part are a mix of native indians and Spaniards or other European stock or a mix of Caribbean blacks and native indians or a mix of all three. Places like Argentina have large populations of actual white "hispanics" but these pockets are rare.

For the record hispanic is a made up term for anyone who speaks Spanish as their native language and has nothing to do with race. Thank you Nixon administration.

• Members
I saw a show on natgeo with border patrol agents, they were showing off their guns. I had to laugh because they aren't even allowed to shoot the illegal immigrants.
:lol:

they should give them bottles of water, they hand those out to illegals more than bullets.

BP Agents can shoot anybody if they need to. You people have no idea what kind of violence happens at the border. I was there, I know.

RIP Robert Rosas.

Archived