Capacitor Question

xOriginalNinjax

• Members

Had a quick question. I just got a tube guitar amp (Valveking 112) and have to replace a capacitor. The rating on it was .1uF with 310v, 275v, and 250v all listed as voltage. The only cap I could find locally that was close was a .1uF with 250v max, and I checked the items list from Peavey and it has it listed at .1uF with 275v...which I can't find ANYWHERE...will the 250v work? It's for the universal power breakaway right between the wall plug and power transformer (page 8, upper right corner of this schematic)

I appreciate it. I don't think it will be rate high enough...but maybe you can give me another idea. :(

• Members

I'm not an electrical engineer...but I have an idea for you:

Basic physics states that capacitors work opposite from resistors in that:

Running two in parallel doubles capacitance (it HALVES total resistance when dealing with resistors)...

and running two in series HALVES capacitence (it doubles resistance when dealing with resistors)

...assuming you are combining two equal resistors or caps:

Which begs the question: "Why would anyone want to ever run two caps in series if you get half the capacitance?"

It's because when you run two caps in series you DOUBLE the voltage they can handle. I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you can't find a .1uF cap rated at a high enough voltage...you might consider running TWO .2uF caps in series which would in effect create a .1uF cap rated at 500 volts.

Any amp techs care to commment?

Archived