Egnater renegade head and 212 cab.....your thoughts

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I'm actually in the process of getting the renegade. I'm yet to find anything bad about that amp. But I haven't been able to use it extensively in a band situation. I don't think there is a problem that you couldn't tweak out.

I do think it's cool you can make the 2x12 cabinets open back or closed back because of the panels they have. I won't be buying one however!

• Members

I had a renegade and sent it back for the Rebel 30 head. I liked the el84, 6v6 better. I thought the Renegade was a bit harsh sounding compared to the Rebel. I also did not like the Renegades clean channel, it sounded very thin and nothing compared to the Rebel, it has its own gain but I really had to lean on it to get any kind of decent volume out of it. I also did not like the 65 to 18 switch, I did not hear much of a difference compared to the Rebels dial that allows from 1 watt up to 30. The Rebel just responded much better in all areas, now the Renegade does have more gain but that was not so much of a big deal to me. One last thing was the Renegade I had was the combo and it was heavy and I hated the fan, you could clearly hear it and it bugged the hell out of me. I am not sure if the head has one or not. If you can go to guitar center and try one out before you buy it and compare it to the Rebel and you will notice the differences.

• Members

Had the tourmaster combo for a while, and didn't like it. Good, but nothing special about it. The rebel was impressive. Waiting to buy one. Played the renegade in 4x10 format at summer namm, and was blown away. DEFINITELY gonna buy that in the near future. VERY shiva like. Dunno about the head tho....

• Members

I had one and pretty much agree with Lefty. I thought it was a too raw sounding / harsh for my taste. I had the 1x12 and the fan bothered me also. I understand the tube choice (5881 and EL34BSTR) because they are probably the most rugged/reliable of their kind, but I got to thinking that if I really wanted to get it the way I would like, I would need a complete tube overhaul and a new speaker (that Elite 80 sounds like nails on a chalkboard until it breaks in). With that, I just decided to go with something else.

• Members

thinking about picking up one of these. Whats the good and the bad about these amps? are the speakers in the cab, the best ones for that amp? i usuualy like JJ's so if i get one ill probably swap out the tubes.

any thoughts or recomendations

I have a recommendation, you should get it and play it for a while. :lol:

Sorry, a bit sarcastic here, but you don't know a whole lot about it, and you already want to swap tubes and speakers. You might be surprised and like it the way it is.:thu:

• Members

I have a recommendation, you should get it and play it for a while.
:lol:

Sorry, a bit sarcastic here, but you don't know a whole lot about it, and you already want to swap tubes and speakers. You might be surprised and like it the way it is.
:thu:

I agree, that is how I found that I liked the Rebel more then the Renegade. You have to try things out for youself, everyone has different taste.

Archived