This Chain

• Members

This always happens when I get a hankerin' to play some electric guitar. I end up with a bunch of noisy tracks that felt really good to play but may not have that same calming effect on my listeners.

As a songwriter I have learned over the years, though, to run with these impulses. I think we need to get stuff like this out of our systems, right?

So....as an exercize in writing on the electric guitar I rolled through the first take of this tune and let it stand. Then I fired up a mic and sang the first thing that came to mind after playing loud for 4 minutes. I think I should put another verse in at the end instead of just singing the chorus again.......

I have already re-strung the old Kalamazoo acoustic so the world should settle back on its axis shortly.

EDIT: Remix

This Chain

So you came

What's the difference

So you're here

What's new

It's not clear

What you want from me

'Cause it's the same

There's no difference

But have no fear

We're not through

Tell me dear

Just what else you see

Brief Instrumental

What's the game

What's missing

Make it clear

What's wrong

Tell me dear

Are you listening

We can take this thing

And go the distance

But there's too much pain

Right now

Let's break this chain

Of distrust and resistance

This chain

Break this chain

This chain

Break it

This chain

Break this chain

Break it

repeat

Round and round and round and round we'll go

Until we can break this chain

This chain

Break this chain

This chain

Break it

This chain

Break this chain

Break it

• Members

I like this a lot, Len. It is the best match between perc and music that I've heard from you and I love how the guitar keeps chugging along even as you do your usual stutter-stepping with the lead. Gives a hint of your typical flavor without killing the momentum.

The break just before the refrain is killer.

I think you could play more into the "round and round" bit with more echo underneath. Sounds like you had the same idea but kept it tame, I say unleash it.

• Members

I think you could play more into the "round and round" bit with more echo underneath. Sounds like you had the same idea but kept it tame, I say unleash it.

I was thinking originally of doing a very long repeating delay there but my delays are not long enough. At the last minute I added that other vocal to see how it might sound.

Think I'll go ahead and have some more fun there....indulge a little.;):wave:

Thanks for the drum comment....you know how I am with that stuff.

Third verse?

• Moderators

This is cool. A couple of structure ideas.

I'd love to hear that rhythm motive from the chorus as an intro. Just stark and alone. I'd love to hear these 2 sections

Round and round and round and round we'll go

Until we can break this chain

and

This chain

Break this chain

This chain

Break it

This chain

Break this chain

Break it

I'd love to hear those 2 sections ^ overlapped. To just take the "This chain... Break it!" copied over the round and round part. Play with some cut and paste on another vocal track to see what happy accidents you come up with.

And I love to hear a half time drum beat playing

l: Doom, doo GACK!... 3... doom-doo GACK :l Loud and simple. Bring it in later though. Maybe at the first chorus.

I'd love to hear a build of of stacked vocal. Keep stacking The chian... and Round and round and round. Build into a hypnotic explosion. Maybe a zzzZZZIP! Big crescendo to silence. Len's She's So Heavy.

This is cool tune.

• Members

I'd love to hear those 2 sections ^ overlapped.

That is a great idea. Keep those "round and round" bits flowing through the break (or drop the break altogether) over the chorus. That would sound awesome.

• Members

This always happens when I get a hankerin' to play some electric guitar. I end up with a bunch of noisy tracks that felt really good to play but may not have that same calming effect on my listeners.

As a songwriter I have learned over the years, though, to run with these impulses. I think we need to get stuff like this out of our systems, right?

I think this is an amazing piece of work, especially considering it was done mostly off the cuff.

Nicely done!

LCK

• Members

Hey! Don't give me any credit for that overlapping idea, that was Lee's baby all the way!

I think you could even go a little further during the overlap. I wanted to hear a seemingly endless '"round and round and round" track. One that sings the line, but with another that just keeps going round and round. ;)

• Members

Wow, man. These are some of THE sweeeeeeeetest single-coil stylings I have heard since the last time I heard Mark Knopfler - quite awhile ago. Huge BRAVO! from me, Len, and thanks for reminding me just how sweet a guitar can sound. I really love the song too - of course, super cool guitar riffs, but also great lyric hooks and and your voice works really well in this song. My primary suggestion, like made by others above, is that you payoff the build ups to the choruses by letting the drums kick in to drive the choruses. This is already something special.

Kudos!

David

Archived