Wrote this on a bus coming back from Texas late last night

rhino55

• Members

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but a melody is already there. Should it have a chorus? If so, what direction should I take it?

Also, I think the last verse kind of sucks, any ideas for that? I like what it says, but I don't like how it says it.

There

• Members

Cool - you are right.. the written lyrics do convey a sort of melody.

Only the last verse confused me.

As far as chorus goes, I guess my counter question is this: what is the main point of the song? What are you trying to drive home? Make that teh chorus and then hit it with a hammer 3 or so times.

Rick

• Members

Cool - you are right.. the written lyrics do convey a sort of melody.

Only the last verse confused me.

As far as chorus goes, I guess my counter question is this: what is the main point of the song? What are you trying to drive home? Make that teh chorus and then hit it with a hammer 3 or so times.

Rick

The last verse starts with a reference to the previous. If the stars are selling mysteries then the price is basically your own imagination. If you're bored on bus anyway, why not?

I guess the main point is there is more to see on the highway than truck stops and billboards for truck stops if you know where/how to look.

I wonder is something like this could work

The things you'll see if your looking

The things you'll see if you look

The things you'll see

• Members

Why not just repeat the first verse again at the end?

I thought about it, but I think I might use that too much.

I could do a recap of everything.

There's a dragon in the trees

There's a rooster in the clouds

There are stars selling intrigue

• Members

Tracked a demo. It's a bit on the long side, but that'll make it more fun to work up with the band.

There are some mispronunciations and the like but you should get the idea. I did what LK said and am pleased with it so far. If I come up with a different idea for the chorus I might try tracking it closer to the op, but I think I'm digging it as is.

Does the chorus work?

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11757626&q=hi

• Members

Tracked a demo. It's a bit on the long side, but that'll make it more fun to work up with the band.

There are some mispronunciations and the like but you should get the idea. I did what LK said and am pleased with it so far. If I come up with a different idea for the chorus I might try tracking it closer to the op, but I think I'm digging it as is.

Does the chorus work?

The next day bump. What do y'all think?

• Members

There is definitely something there. My only two thoughts are

1) Some variation would be nice. I'm assuming you'll pull much of that off instrumentally, but I think some melodic variation might be prudent as well.

2) How about having the location change each chorus? Is Lake Charles important in some way that I'm not getting?

• Moderators

It feels like the Dagon bit should p[lay on the fact that the meter is the same but you sing a differnt melody and chords. Its a trad form. It lloks the same and meters the same but your meldoy are totally different. That's what I'd do with it. So yeah, I'd keep what you have but work on a lifted sound chorus for the dragon lake charles chorus.

• Moderators

It feels like the Dragon bit should play on the fact that the meter is the same but you sing a different melody and chords. It's a trad form. Right now you're keeping them the same or very similar. It looks the same and meters the same but your melody could (and I think should) totally different. That's what I'd do with it. So yeah, I'd keep what you have but work on a lifted sound chorus for the dragon lake charles chorus.

• Members

It feels like the Dragon bit should play on the fact that the meter is the same but you sing a
different melody and chords.
It's a trad form. Right now you're keeping them the same or very similar. It looks the same and meters the same but your melody could (and I think should) totally different. That's what I'd do with it. So yeah, I'd keep what you have but work on a lifted sound chorus for the dragon lake charles chorus.

I think I get what you're saying, but do you have a specific traditional example in mind?

• Moderators

Not a specific example but... right now you have the verse (and chorus) going from the iv back to the i. But what if for the chorus, you went to say, the VI then the III? So... in Am, that's verse:

Dm / Am and whatever chords you're weaving in there. But for the Chorus you go to:

F / C / F / C / E7 / Am...

than back to your verse:

Dm / Am

Just so something gives a very clear contrast between the verse and the chorus. Your verse is in the key of Am, your chorus might be in the key a C. (of course transposed to your key)

• Members

The lyrics as they stand in the latest version

Prowling down I-10

He's just looking for a friend

It's a wonder that he ever made it this far

He's standing like a sentry

guarding a field that's mostly empty

as the people drive by in their cars

with its scales made out of leaves

sitting about a half hour outside of Lake Charles

Silhouetted by the moonlight

he only comes out at night

he'll fly away before the sun ever starts its rising

With his head up in the clouds

he's silently strutting proud

eyes west scratching at the horizon

There are stores in the stars

but I never bothered to learn what they are

like billboards selling nature's mysteries

In for a pound or maybe a penny

it don't matter much if you ain't got any

what the sky's selling it's selling for free

• Members

Much better. I can hear some harmonies and other backing vocals. Even though you don't really change the range, you change the flow and the guitar enough for there to be some development, variation. Now the rest can be taken care of with layering.

• Moderators

Sounds good. I really like what you doing on the first 2 lines of the chorus. That really flows well. The last line however...

Just about a half about a half hour outside Lake Charles

...doesn't really work for me. The rushed and informal delivery doesn't really own that power spot. You need something that caps it. Puts the cherry on top. Consider stretching out the line. Like

just about a half(1) hour(2) (rest 3, 4) out(1) side(2) (3 rest) Lake(4) Charles(1)

That would give the ear a place to land each chorus. With accents:

just about a | BUMP-BUMP 3... 4... | BUMP-BUMP 3... BUMP | BUMP

• Members

Sounds good. I really like what you doing on the first 2 lines of the chorus. That really flows well. The last line however...

Just about a half about a half hour outside Lake Charles

...doesn't really work for me. The rushed and informal delivery doesn't really own that power spot. You need something that caps it. Puts the cherry on top. Consider stretching out the line. Like

just about a half(1) hour(2) (rest 3, 4) out(1) side(2) (3 rest) Lake(4) Charles(1)

That would give the ear a place to land each chorus. With accents:

just about a | BUMP-BUMP 3... 4... | BUMP-BUMP 3... BUMP | BUMP

Like this?

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11761534&q=hi

I reverted back to the original way the second time. Just sort of how it came out, but by no means intentional.

• Moderators

Not really. In my mind there should be a big 2 bar gap before that last line (double time). The "just-about-a..." would be the pickup on the last 3 and 4 of the two bars of rest.

It would bring emphasis to the line. And even though Oswlek mentioned changing that Lake Charles to different locations, for me, I think instead that by emphasizing that seemingly insignificant detail, it brings a poignancy to that little moment in time for you. That's what you're trying to capture and freeze. That moment you saw that image. So highlight it and play off the contradiction of its insignificance being significant.

I can record something to show you the idea but I don't want to stall your progress... your call.

• Members

Not really. In my mind there shoulld be a big 2 bar gap before that last line (double time). The "just-about-a..." would be the pickup on the last 3 and 4 of the two bars of rest. I can record something to show you the idea but I don't want to stall your progress...

If you don't mind, that would be great. I'm not really following what you're saying.

There's no big rush. I got a couple solo sets coming up in the next couple weeks. It would be nice to have it ready for them, but worst case scenario I can always do it as is. My songs usually change over time anyway.

The chords I'm using

If memory serves correct the verses are

0 x x 4 3 0

5 x 7 5 0 0

x 9 9 7 0 0

Chorus

G D Am(maybe 7) C

I'm not sure how this would work out with what you're talking about doing, but I'm curious to see.

Archived