5150 Combo - Preamp Tube Suggestions?

plastic

• Members

I've got myself a 5150 combo. I like the amp even though it is as heavy as a small truck. I had a head version shortly after they frst came out and was reminded after cranking up the combo that they had a fair bit of noise going on. Does anyone have any preamp tube suggestions to lower the high gain noise?

• Members

Toss in a JAN GE 5751 in V1.

Do not do this....:facepalm: That will completely neuter the combo.. I've been using the combo for many many years.. There are no tubes that will sufficiently quiet the hiss on the combo lead channel, besides lower gain tubes which just kill the amp.. Its designed for 12ax7's and absolutely sounds best with those..

I've found a few tubes that were a bit quieter, but they were individual tubes.. I have 1 JJ that quiets it down a bit an Electro-harmonix that does well in V1 too.. Just buy 3 or 4 different tubes and try them in the V1 position and pick the one that sounds the best.. But the combo has a lot of hiss on the lead channel especially when cranked.. I've just gotten used to the sound over the years and it doesn't bother me, but if it does bother you the only way to kill the hiss is a noise gate in the loop.. And so far I havent found a gate that works in the loop without messing with the tone a bit.. For in front of the amp the ISP Decimator pedal works great, but that will only help against excess feedback, etc..

• Members

I run a Tungsol in V1 and chinese 9th gen silver dragons the rest of the way. I stay mostly on the rhythm channel now...but theres still noise on the lead channel with the gain at 0....you cant get rid of it. Noise gates dont work well in the loop....in my case, they have just added more noise. I keep an ns-2 in the front, and thats about as quiet as itll get.

• Members

I run a Tungsol in V1 and chinese 9th gen silver dragons the rest of the way. I stay mostly on the rhythm channel now...but theres still noise on the lead channel with the gain at 0....you cant get rid of it. Noise gates dont work well in the loop....in my case, they have just added more noise. I keep an ns-2 in the front, and thats about as quiet as itll get.

^Smart dude here. Manlove the guy. :love:

Use a Tung-sol 12ax7 in V1 if you want the amp bright(er).

OR, use a new reissue Mullard 12ax7 in V1 if you want the amp to sound "darker".

Always, always, ALWAYS - Use Chinese (Shuguang) Silver Dragon 12ax7B's the rest of the way. TRUST ME ON THIS. I've tried literally every affordable preamp tube you can buy today.

The true/real Chinese 12ax7B's (Silver Dragons w/octo spacer) are pretty hard to find. I've had GREAT service from BOI Audioworks. They always have them in stock, ship fast, and have great service. There you go. :thu:

Where I differ with rbasaria is I prefer the ISP Decimator over the Boss NS-2.

EDIT: When you say "lowering the gain noise" use noise suppresor pedal in the loop, don't try different preamp tubes (lower gain), that didn't work for me, made the amp sound {censored}ty.

• Members

^Smart dude here. Manlove the guy.
:love:

Use a Tung-sol 12ax7 in V1 if you want the amp bright(er).

OR, use a new reissue Mullard 12ax7 in V1 if you want the amp to sound "darker".

Always, always, ALWAYS - Use Chinese (Shuguang) Silver Dragon 12ax7B's the rest of the way. TRUST ME ON THIS. I've tried literally every affordable preamp tube you can buy today.

The true/real Chinese 12ax7B's (Silver Dragons w/octo spacer) are pretty hard to find. I've had GREAT service from BOI Audioworks. They always have them in stock, ship fast, and have great service. There you go.
:thu:
Where I differ with rbasaria is I prefer the ISP Decimator over the Boss NS-2.

EDIT: When you say "lowering the gain noise" use noise suppresor pedal in the loop, don't try different preamp tubes (lower gain), that didn't work for me, made the amp sound {censored}ty.

:love:

• Members

Toss in a JAN GE 5751 in V1.

jange5751.jpg

Actually, I'd go RFT ECC83 in V1. That amp needs a warm sounding tube. One that sounds nice and fat without cranking the gain to high heaven so he can back off on the pre-gain. In my Mesa I went Mullard ECC83 in V1 and 2, but I doubt he wants to spend that much coin. Alternatively, whenever I play one I adjust the settings, and use a clean boost into the front end to warm them up. It ain't perfect, but it goes a good way. My SansAmp makes the clean channel actually pleasant and usable for more than rock and metal.

I've got an RFT in position three, and it definitely helped the Vintage and Modern high gain modes tones in my Recto. There used to be a boxiness, flattening of the sound under mid gain to mid-high gain settings. The cleans and clean crunches were great, and the uber gain settings sounded good, but the middle ground was largely a little less pleasing to my ears. The preamp tubes went pretty far in turning that around, and improved the cleans/high gain tones as well. All around the amp sounds more open and there's greater depth to the tone. I found I need less gain to make it sound punchy and full now.

I used GE 5751s for the loop and verb driver/mixer positions (V4 and V5).

Archived