Well Answered Prayer - WIP - lyrics

IllinoisJack

• Members

Me again. Punched this one out this morning. First draft. Have at it.

I know not many country fans here, but the older I get, it seems that sappy country ballads are all I can write anymore. Whatever. Maybe one of you geniuses can do something with it. If not, it just goes into the pile.

edited 8-20-12

Well Answered Prayer

• Members

For me, the title line doesn't quite click. I've heard of answered prayers and unanswered prayers, but well answered prayers? Is there such a thing as a poorly answered prayer? How about "you are my best answered prayer"? Maybe not. Or how about "you are my one answered prayer"?

I would also pick out the same two lines Marshall identified as needing a re-write. Actually, just the "drifted on life's turning wheel" line is the one that seems strained to me. Maybe "roll back life's turning wheel"?

"As coffee is cooled" also struck me as a bit awkward. Looks like you were going for a perfect rhyme with "fooled," but I think you would be better served by fudging the rhyme a bit to make the line less grammatically clumsy: "each quiet morning as the coffee cools."

Other than those few spots, I think the lyric is quite good. I especially like the two lines that Lenny picked out.

• Members

Great sentiment.

"Coffee cooled" into the "you're not fooled" was weird. Why would this person be fooled? They don't think you're really happy? I wouldn't think you could fake a "from the heart smile."

Also in the chorus, "life's not fair" feels like filler. I'd combine the two that you have into one like this

My love

• Members

I like Rick's idea for "life's turning wheel."

The smoothness line doesn't quite work. After looking at it a few times I realize it's about wrinkles, and wishing they'd just disappear. But the fact that I didn't get that at first suggests that it might be worth rewriting.

The title also seems a little awkward to me. It seems to me that prayers are either answered or they're not. Some religious types will say that all prayers are answered: "Oh, God answered your prayer all right. He just said no..."

Anyway, that's off topic. The title seems awkward to me.

LCK

• Members

Thanks for all the good input. Overall, I agree with a lot of what was said - not everything of course - but a lot. I will re-write a few lines and see if it sit's any smoother. See bold lyrics once I've done them.

RE: WELL answered prayer. I understand the comments, but to me it is like a "well run race" or a "well cooked fish". Yes, the prayer was answered, but it was answered with uncommon perfection. Unless the concensus is an outright clamoring for change - I would rather keep it. I felt it sets it apart from the common statement. Arrogant of me? Perhaps. But I think it's something you will remember, even if for the unusual use of the phrase.

• Moderators

Thanks for all the good input. Overall, I agree with a lot of what was said - not everything of course - but a lot. I will re-write a few lines and see if it sit's any smoother. See
bold
lyrics once I've done them.

RE: WELL answered prayer. I understand the comments, but to me it is like a "well run race" or a "well cooked fish". Yes, the prayer was answered, but it was answered with uncommon perfection. Unless the concensus is an outright clamoring for change - I would rather keep it. I felt it sets it apart from the common statement. Arrogant of me? Perhaps. But I think it's something you will remember, even if for the unusual use of the phrase.

I liked the title myself. It's a nice twist on the phrase. for me at least

Archived