Installing Pickups - Anyone in NOVA?

mcr23

• Members

I have a DKMG that has EMGs and I'm replacing them with the Crunch Lab / Liquifire combo.

I also have my old Giby Gothic Explorer that has the orig 500T/496 pickups in it. I'm thinking about swapping the EMGs in there and selling the gibbys.

Could I switch just have the pots/input jacks switched on the two guitfiddles?

Also, is there anyone around here that knows how to install pickups? Social Science major was a social science major :o

• Members

Are the crunch lab and liquifire pickups actives? if not you will need to replace the pots, the EMGs should be paired with 250k pots, and if your new pots are passives, you will need 500k pots. So long as the gibby has 500k pots you should be fine, although you might have to watch there are two types, long and short shaft pots, I myself can't really tell using just my eyes because it's such a minute difference in size, something like 1 cm, but it makes all the difference in what they will fit.

Half the battle is knowing what to solder where. Go here for wiring diagrams:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

• Members

I have a DKMG that has EMGs and I'm replacing them with the Crunch Lab / Liquifire combo.

I also have my old Giby Gothic Explorer that has the orig 500T/496 pickups in it. I'm thinking about swapping the EMGs in there and selling the gibbys.

Could I switch just have the pots/input jacks switched on the two guitfiddles?

Also, is there anyone around here that knows how to install pickups? Social Science major was a social science major
:o

if i didn't have a recording to do this weekend, i'd say bring it by my office in rockville! if you need it quick.. i'm off radar for the next week or so between tracking and mixing though.. :(

• Members

I would install em for ya if you were a little closer to Hampton Roads. I have a killer soldering station and nothing to solder at the moment. I could probably walk you through it if you want to try yourself though.

I could probably swing. Where exactly in hampton roads? :confused:

• Members

Are the crunch lab and liquifire pickups actives? if not you will need to replace the pots, the EMGs should be paired with 250k pots, and if your new pots are passives, you will need 500k pots. So long as the gibby has 500k pots you should be fine, although you might have to watch there are two types, long and short shaft pots, I myself can't really tell using just my eyes because it's such a minute difference in size, something like 1 cm, but it makes all the difference in what they will fit.

Half the battle is knowing what to solder where. Go here for wiring diagrams:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

For the record:

EMG pots are 25k not 250k.

Long and short shaft pots, you can tell the difference.

Pot-500K-Long-Shaft.jpg

Pot-500K-short-shaft.jpg

• Members

Hopefully I can just have the gibby and DKMG pots/jacks switched. I should try and find out though. Don't want to waste anyone's time.

You will probably need three long shafts for the Gibson. I might have some extras, but I'm not sure. You'll probably also need to buy 2 500k pots for the Jackson. You'll probably need short shafts and maybe even mini pots, but again, I'm not sure.

Archived