Recommend me an amp at $600

Vinchester

• Members

SO I think it's finally a time I need a new amp. A nice, serious upgrade from my MicroCube.

I play mainly metal but want nice warm cleans as well. Frankly this one is going to be strictly in my bedroom so I don't need much volume. $700 is the most I can spend, can I get a decent tube amp at this range? I'm kinda bored of SS ones y'know. Also want to try real tube OD and such :)

My friend recommended a Peavey Valveking 112, but they are out of stock for the moment.

Also, please don't recommend 2nd hand stuffs, since the used market aint that big on this side of the earth.

Thanks.

• Members

Honestly, in that price range, it's kind of tough to find you something new that is worth buying. If you aren't opposed to using a modeling amp then I'd go with this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482913

Or this if you want a little less wattage:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912

If you were a blues/classic rock man, there would be more options. But since you play metal and can't really get used gear over there, it's going to be hard to put you on anything with tubes that isn't on the lower end of the spectrum...

• Members

I see, how about the Valveking combo? I can wait a couple of months for the stuff to come in. Anyway thanks for the input.

Well there ARE a small used market here but the products available are kinda really random :/ You can tell me to keep an eye out for certain gear though.

• Members

The valveking will have nice cleans, but the distortion will be a bit lacking in the metal department. You may need a boost.

Have you thought about the 6505+ 112 combo? Itll do metal in spades, but the cleans wont be great, though they will be useable.

• Members

Good luck in your quest.

Finding something in that price range thats all tube and does nice warm cleans and brutal metal distortion can be touch. You may want to keep an eye out for a peavey classic 30 as well. Not sure if you get those used over there, but that plus a damage control solid metal tube distortion pedal would be a nice combo. THe solid metal is an awesome pedal. I used it for a year before I got my 6505, and combined with a clean amp, it can give you a very big range of distortion sounds, from classic to full on brutality, and the nice cleans of whatever clean amp you choose.

You could also look into the jet city JCA20, but you might need a pedal for that too. You will probably need one for the classic 30 too, if I didnt make that clear before.

• Members

I see,

Then as an option I could save up to the next price range.. IDK, $800-1000? Anything that fit the bill and not so loud that I need a soundproof room?

I guess its a trip to the shop then! thx!

What about a small Fender combo (like a Blues Jr. or something) and a Blackstar HT-DistX?

I'll check that Fender amp out. thanks.

• Members
The valveking will have nice cleans,
but the distortion will be a bit lacking in the metal department.
You may need a boost.

Have you thought about the 6505+ 112 combo? Itll do metal in spades, but the cleans wont be great, though they will be useable.

My valveking and my other guitarist's do metal fine :idk:

• Members
The valveking combo is better IMO because the speakers match perfect with it. And If you don't like them you can obviously switch them out. Also it's a really versatile amp.

My valveking and my other guitarist's do metal fine
:idk:

Could be user error on my part. I havent spent much time with it. What kind of metal are we talking here?

Overall, I think its better to figure out what amp you want, and start saving for that...

• Members

Blackstar HT20 combo. This is not out yet but was introduced at NAMM.

HT Studio 20 - 2 channels (1x12??? combo or head)
The HT Studio 20 offers huge versatility for home, rehearsal, or studio use. The carefully voiced preamp coupled with a cathode-biased EL34 power amp, provides the user with the ability to create wonderfully lush tube tones. From pure 'boutique' cleans to mild overdrive that cleans up by backing off the guitar volume control, up to highly saturated distortion, this amp does it all.

Specs:

20-Watt valve combo
2xECC83, 2xEL34
Two footswitchable channels
12" Celestion speaker (On Combo)
Enhanced tone controls
Unique Infinite Shape Feature (ISF)
Master volume
Digital reverb
Speaker emulated output
Effects loop
1-way footswitch included

US Retail: $749.99 (combo) US Retail: $629.99 (head)

If you look at the pricing for current Blackstar amps on online retailer sites, the street price is minus 20% from the list. The combo would be about $600 when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay folks, I passed by at the shops today so I guess I'll update this thread.

Guess what, THEY HAVE BLACKSTAR AMPS!!! The brand have been available only a couple of months and they sell pretty well, the shopkeeper says.

They don't have HT20, but have HT5(both combo and stack versions) and Series1 45watt combo. The HT5 falls well within my price range. FYI, 5-watt, one 10" celestion, it's a "valve combo w/ ECC83 and EH12hb7 power tube". I don't really know about these tubes it tho :/

Unfortunately the Valveking is out of stock, and 6505+ is also not there. Seems like there are only Vypyr and Bandits around. Screw the purchasing personnel!

So, school me on Blackstar amps? The HT-5's price is very comfortable but what about the 10" speaker? Also the tubes in there obviously aren't the best ones. Once I have some time I'll defo go try them out.

• Members

most guys on here probably wouldn't recommend this because some of us have this idea that real guitarists only use tube amps, but as a bedroom player and in your price range I would look at a Line 6. You'll be able to get a wide range of tones, have fx and have enough volume should you join a band. And the tones are actually pretty decent. Then you can work up to a tube amp at that point.

Although I love my tube amps, they are almost always too loud to play/practice on for extended periods of time at home/bedroom. However, they are great for a live band setting.

Honestly, if I weren't in a band, I would dump my tube amps and grab a line 6 flavor of amp. Something like this will give you tons of tones and enough power should you play in a group setting once in a while.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-150-150W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482814-i1470462.gc

Archived