The Line She Wasn't Supposed to Cross

Lee Knight

• Members

I'm not convinced either.
:)
I gotta mess with it and see. Think of the rhythm to the line "The night... they drove ol' Dixie down"

Yeah, but that's 7 notes/syllables. You've got 9.

I'm not saying you can't pull this off. Like you said, you gotta mess with it. Sometimes what appears a bit clunky on paper (or on a computer screen) works amazing well when put to music.

• Members

Well, to clarify or muddy the waters further... however you want to look at it.

I think the coin flipping is even more out of character after you described her. She doesn't seem like the type of person who would need to flip a coin to decide to go. I do like the free spirit it implies... maybe she flipped the coin to decide which direction? That might be fun to work into the verses.

• Moderators

Well, to clarify or muddy the waters further... however you want to look at it.

I think the coin flipping is even more out of character after you described her. She doesn't seem like the type of person who would need to flip a coin to decide to go. I do like the free spirit it implies... maybe she flipped the coin to decide which direction? That might be fun to work into the verses.

Ah. I see. OK, the direction I'm seeing this go with the verses is her many tosses of the coin. The many times she paid the price for speaking her mind , or even just having one. So. I was seeing her as a kid and weighing up the cost of talking back to an asshole teacher. Are we ready to flip this coin? Deliberating... still holding sir... and... go. "From what I understand, the earth is much older than the bible says it is." "It's just hair color!" "But I don't like to wear dresses!" And forever branded a trouble maker. The cost. Worth it at thrice the price. So, the coin motive will hopefully be used more in the verses. Maybe, I hope, kinda.

So she is the type. Always weighing the cost of her big mouth and the truth.

• Members

Ah. I see. OK, the direction I'm seeing this go with the verses is her many tosses of the coin. The many times she paid the price for speaking her mind , or even just having one. So. I was seeing her as a kid and weighing up the cost of talking back to an asshole teacher. Are we ready to flip this coin? Deliberating... still holding sir... and...
go.
"From what I understand, the earth is much older than the bible says it is." "It's just hair color!" "But I don't
to wear
dresses!"
And forever branded a trouble maker. The cost. Worth it at thrice the price. So, the coin motive will hopefully be used more in the verses. Maybe, I hope, kinda.

So she is the type. Always weighing the cost of her big mouth and the truth.

I kinda see where you are coming from, but to me a coin toss implies leaving it up to chance so I don't really get deliberation.

• Members

Interesting. That may be what's been niggling me.

I once had someone tell me we would flip a coin and instead of showing me heads or tails, she asked what did you hope for first when the coin went in the air.

I don't know if you could work that in, but it might be neat if you did. Maybe that's what she does, and her big mouth always wins.

• Moderators

I'm still not sure "Flipped the coin she'd been too scared to toss" doesn't work. I just reread the chorus and sang my melody in my head and it sure sounds good. It just means roll the dice doesn't it? I mean, leaving town is just the culmination of all the lines she'd crossed in the past growing up. And it all leads to this moment. Another toss of the coin. Another line being crossed. Another price to pay. All in a continuing series of crossed lines in her life. I think I wanna marry this girl. Oh wait, I did.

• Moderators

In context:

The line she wasn't supposed to cross
Was getting smaller in her rear view mirror
Flipped the coin she'd been too scared to toss
As she drove on outta here
Freedom comes at a cost
One... thing... found... for something lost
Leaving behind the line... she wasn't supposed to cross

• Members

*Updating here as I go:

The line she wasn't supposed to cross

Was getting smaller in her rear view mirror

Flipped the coin she'd been too scared to toss

As she drove on outta here

Freedom comes at a cost

There isn't music posted for this yet, right?

I like the rewrite better. The "One thing found" line is the clincher. But it's not firing on all cylinders yet.

"Something found, and something lost" has a nice repetitive ring to it.

Or play on a losing equation: "Something found, too much is lost," or some variation of that equation idea ("One thing found, but what is lost")?

Upon further review, your, "for so something lost" does hint pretty solidly for the negative equation idea. . . . , carry on. You will not be charged a time-out.

• Members

Whether you come out and say it or just hint at it, you either have a specific story in mind or you just let the rhymes write it for you.

The whole notion of "This is meant to be interpreted many different ways... I'll let the auidence figure it out" gets old to me.

Bravo ! ! !

• Members

I like the original: "One thing found for one thing lost."

Though being a cynic, I would probably say "One thing found for all things lost." In other words, she's lost more than she's gained, but she's all right with that; she's still willing to roll the dice, toss the coin, and cross those lines she shouldn't have crossed.

• Members

I like the original: "One thing found for one thing lost."

Though being a cynic, I would probably say "One thing found for all things lost." In other words, she's lost more than she's gained, but she's all right with that; she's still willing to roll the dice, toss the coin, and cross those lines she shouldn't have crossed.

Being an uncynic, I would probably say that the "one thing found" could be worth it. Depends on what it is.

• Moderators

Being an uncynic, I would probably say that the "one thing found" could be worth it. Depends on what it is.

I agree. Mentioning the parallelism of "One thing found for one thing lost", I like that as it speaks to her reoccurring familiarity with the exchange. It sounds a bit like an old saying. I like that. Lee's ideas on making it more true and realistic are good, but I really want the singablity here too. So the parralel nature of the original, "one thing found for one thing lost" works both in its rhythmic feel, and its content, as you see it above.

The idea behind behind "One thing found, for somethin' lost" was a) that it is in a way a rhyme. Somethin'. Somethin' lost sings really well. And b) it's call and response sound rhythmically. "One thing" works as a series of accented, staccato notes: One! Thing! found. Followed by a more legato answer with "fersomethin'lost"

Bump! bump! bump!, bahdidabump

Archived