I Shoula been an Actor... yes... 4!

Lee Knight

• Moderators
Well, I will strike a disparaging remark. I like the Rap version. This version is quite good, of course. But there's more meat on the bone with the whole Rap thing. Of course both versions stand quite nicely side by side. With this, non-rap-version, I am aware that the song is basically over at 2:12. Everything after that is
repeat,
or instrumental of repeat. I find that kinda tiring*. Of course I'm not much of a pop guy. But the last minute and a half doesn't offer anything new. That's sort of why I like the Rap and then a quick return to chorus and out. It sounds fresher.

But of course both versions are very excellent.

(* - My philosophy is to leave the listener wanting more; not tired and waiting for the end. I found myself tired at the end of this. Of course, as I said, I'm not much of a pop guy. You certainly hold my attention strong for the first 2:12.)

Man, this forum is so slow lately. I've been trying to respond and have been unable. OK...

I agree with your reasoning above. That the middle section brings a much needed change and relief to the repetition of the tune. Still, I'm much preferring the rap gone. See, ya, let's hope not. :) So I'm pretty sure it's gone. Whether or not chopping that middle section is a mistake or not, I really don't think I'll know till I try it. So I think for now... I think... that's where I'll go next.

Thanks for this input. I agree with where you're coming from. That's the frustrating part for me. I'm torn on this one in a lot of ways.

• Members

I miss the rap as well but this version is so much better as it is and I think it ends quite nicely. Lot's of things caught my attention from a production standpoint.....

The bells that mirror the hook, and particularly the distorted guitar that does the same. Those are very cool and really drive that hook home

The way the vocals move around......the listener needs to be paying attention and the payoff for that attention is big.

The 'ooheeeooohs'.......bringing them more in to focus at the end is a winner.

After another listen....I don't miss the rap so much.

Great tune.:wave:

• Moderators

I miss the rap as well but this version is so much better as it is and I think it ends quite nicely. Lot's of things caught my attention from a production standpoint.....

The bells that mirror the hook, and particularly the distorted guitar that does the same. Those are very cool and really drive that hook home

The way the vocals move around......the listener needs to be paying attention and the payoff for that attention is big.

The 'ooheeeooohs'.......bringing them more in to focus at the end is a winner.

After another listen....I don't miss the rap so much.

Great tune.
:wave:

Thanks Len. I always stop when there's Len input. Thank you. The next version is an attempt to take those points you made a little further. Thank you, sir.

Archived