What's a great solid state amp head?

Kassanova

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. As the owner of a JC-120 and an Ampeg 2x12, I'd say that those who said there are no solid state amps with good cleans haven't heard these.

I was specifically asking about heads because I'm changing my setup and moving away from the combo amp. I've been out of the market for an amp for so long, I just needed some ideas to know what direction to look in. Thanks a lot guys! I'm still taking notes, so if anybody else has suggestions, throw 'em out there. A good clean sound is first and foremost on my list. I plan on getting an Axe-FX Ultra as a source for my main FX as well but I still need an amp that takes pedals, MFXs and racks well. Thanks again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only Solid State amp that I would consider buying would be a Roland Jazz Chrous. Other than that, Randalls make some decent Solid State amps. But, FWIW, if you can pick up a tube amp in your price range, you would be much better off IMHO...

• Members

Why SS?

For the money you are willing to spend, you can get a so much better tube amp used.

You mentioned Mesa Like tone; Mesa F series, DC series and MK III heads can be had all day for under $1,000.

alot of reasons people like or use SS over tube

a)less upkeep

b)not as fragile

c) in some cases SS weigh less

d) more forgiving when it comes to user error such as mismatched impedance

e)Some actually like a SS tone over a tube one. High dollar SS stuff is on par with some of the best tube stuff

Im sure most wont agree with this but this is my opinion on the matter

Archived