Who Is Your Savior Now

LeonardScaper

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick

View Post

Hmm, this is all quite interesting...

When does a person's own personal unique style change from being a positive, admired thing that sets them apart from others to being a perceived hindrance to their skill and talent in general? I guess that's a pretty subjective thing...

It is important to note a distinction between "personal unique style" and using the exact same material. For instance, listen to this:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

This is Len, through and through, his unique style on full display in one of the best songs I've ever heard. Notice, though, that even the few times he tosses in a lick, it isn't the same as it presents itself in "Savior" or the other numerous recent songs..

The problem that Lee is pointing out (and I have on several occasions as well) is that Len does tend to rely on that very specific technique a lot, and even though they seem to fit whenever he uses them, it can be very tiring to hear the same thing repeated numerous times. Especially when trying to listen to several of his songs in a row. The difference between style and specific technique can be subtle, but still monumental.

Now, all that said, I agree that it works very well here. And I don't think Lee would have had much of a beef with that technique in this song if this was the first Len tune he'd heard.

• Members

Wow....that is such an eye opening comparison between a song that is five years old or so and this most recent one. It really gives me pause.......I must stop and consider the implications of such an obvious style similarity. I really appreciate that, my friend.

I know you guys have been telling me this all along. Perhaps I need to step away....from myself...a bit and look for another musical perspective. I have something in mind.......cool.gif

And thank you, Justin, for the recognition on that Fat Boy tune......it is by far my favorite song of any I have written, and another song that came from a very deep and personal place.

• Members

OK. I haven't read the comments yet. I prefer to give my first shot before i read what everybody else says. So here goes;

Your verses work nice. There's something you do that is different. You have this melodic thing going, then you stop singing and let the instruments complete the melodic phrase. That is an interesting technique; especially in the first trip through the pattern. But it's begging for a vocal concluding version of the phrase at some point in the song. It's like you're missing the punch line of your story by never completing the phrase vocally. It might be nice to save it until the end or some poigniant place and sing it. But it seems a little unfocused by never having the voice complete the phrase. And you're missing the opportunity to say something important when the melody is strong.

Other than that, I'd say you dance around the savior thing nicely but never bring it home. It's like an inside story that only the singer and the person he's singing to are supposed to understand. That's leaves us schlemiels in the rest of the listening world feel like we're not a part of the story. Like we're eavesdropping on a conversation we're not supposed to hear. Which is a nice lyric writing technique, if you explain enough tid-bits of the story so the listener can piece something together. But from what I read and hear, I don't have a clue what's going on.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

But... ^^^ I still can't help but think there is a great song here. I know a lot of others think it is already there. That's cool. But man, I hear this and think... if it just this... and it didn't... that... . . . ,

+1

• Members

So Lenny... we've addressed your motif tendencies... now can we talk about the wave thing?

Let me introduce you to some other emoticons to expand your pallet. Meet wink.gif. He's pretty cool and can help convey a number of different emotions you may be feeling.

Then there's thumb.gif. This guy is not that versatile, but can jump right in and let us know when you agree...

I'd stay away from cop.gif though... I think B2B has a thing for him.

Finally, I'm partial to this guy: cool.gif He's just very... cool.

And of course, I'm just poke.gif you.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by bee3

View Post

So Lenny... we've addressed your motif tendencies... now can we talk about the wave thing?

Let me introduce you to some other emoticons to expand your pallet. Meet wink.gif. He's pretty cool and can help convey a number of different emotions you may be feeling.

Then there's thumb.gif. This guy is not that versatile, but can jump right in and let us know when you agree...

I'd stay away from cop.gif though... I think B2B has a thing for him.

Finally, I'm partial to this guy: cool.gif He's just very... cool.

And of course, I'm just poke.gif you.

I see what you're doing. Oh you!

Randy+Quaid+in+Kingpin'.jpg

• Members

Ok I listened the read all the comments. On on hand I thought yeah kind of vague and some familiar riffage. Then the other points that loved it as it is made me mull it over. Don't get me wrong I drew some initial thoughts of my own first. I was really wanting to know who is the Savoir. It kept me in suspense and although no total resolution in the end I was left satisfied. I really like some vagueness once in awhile and in fact do in some of my songs, but get hit with that I need to be more direct. You pulled it off and a I love the song. I would keep using your motif as it is unique and is a winning formula. I do suggest pushing the envelope a little more from time to time and explore more possibilities and increase your arsenal.

Nice work, it's a wrap

• Members

Just home for a long hard day in the trenches and as I came into the kitchen I heard my songs coming from the laptop there. That seldom happens. I opened a beer and listened as well....keeping Oswlek's insight about repetitive motifs firmly in mind.

Anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal

View Post

There's something you do that is different. You have this melodic thing going, then you stop singing and let the instruments complete the melodic phrase.

I'm glad that you picked that up. This song started with a musical inspiration and I tried very hard to let the music mirror the vocal hook quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal

View Post

Like we're eavesdropping on a conversation we're not supposed to hear.

That is truly the case with this one and I want it to feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahuska

View Post

I drew some initial thoughts of my own first.

To me this is huge.

I want to leave enough unsaid in my songs that the listener can fill in the blanks for him/herself. I want to write stuff that is universal while still getting to that universal place by using very specific ....motifs.wink.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bee3

View Post

We certainly can. cool.gifwave.gif

Hey, Rick...thank you, my friend.

Archived