C90 Black Shadows or Vintage 30's

chaos2767

• Members

I have two mesa cabs and am having a hard time deciding whicj to keep because I only need one. They both sound great, one of them is a RoadKing 3/4 back cab loaded with the Blackshadows and the other is an oversized Recto cab with vintage 30's. Which would you keep?

• Members

do you gig?

I had both cabs a while back (c90 cab) and Recto cab.

I found that at lower volumes the Recto cab sounded better, the C90's sounded a little boxy to me, but once you got some juice flowing thru them they sounded really good. At higher volumes they stay really clear and sharp

(great with a 7 string thru a recto or a mark III/IV)

i don't gig anymore so I kept the recto cab and sold the C90 cab.

at low volumes my recto cab sounds great.

if they are both 4x12 cabs why don't you do an X pattern and do 2 V30's and 2 C90's.

that will sound great.

• Members

both are different

I would keep the Black Shadows, save them, and buy 4 totally different speakers. Black Shadows have the tendency to make different amps sound similar, at least much more so than any other speaker I've used. And I played on a Black Shadow cab for years. It made my Mesa Dual Recto sound miles above what the muddy, blanket enshrouded sounding, standard Recto cabs did. People always thought is was my amp....nope. And, I didn't realize this myself until I bought other high gain low end monsters. They all sounded so similar through the Shadows...kick ass, but too similar. Hope this helps

edit: people will say Recto Cab "hands down" because that's what the masses do, but from someone who played both loud and live, extensively, the Recto cab is just not that good. There are many better, brighter, and tighter than the Recto V30 type cabs out there anyhow.

• Members

the original recto cabs had those same C90s in them
. the switch to V30s is a big part of why rectos developed a bad rep for being muddy/buzzy/etc.

frilz.

didn't know this tidbit. I had one of the early 90's boogie cabs with the diamond holed metal grille. A 3/4 back made into a fully closed cab, which had 2x 50 watt Blk Shads on the bottom, and 2x 90 watt Blk Shads on top. Killer cab in nearly every aspect. I suppose it was a bit "uni-directional" in way a though, which they definitely corrected in the Recto cabs

• Members

I prefer the V30s...I found the C90s muddy and dark, especially with a rectifier. Didn't like the neutral mids on them either. To scooped sounding...bland and boring for my tastes.

To each his own though. You have both cabs, which is the best situation you can have. You don't have to do it blind like others that decide they want to try something new.

Switch back and forth as many times as it takes for you to decide the winner.

Best of luck!

Eric

• Members

I actually think the V30s sound pretty good in my Recto cab IMO. IMO, the C90s need to be pushed to a fairly high volume before they start sounding good.

If you have both speakers, try out both speakers with your rig and decide from there. Don't base your opinions on what others think...

• Members

do you gig?

I had both cabs a while back (c90 cab) and Recto cab.

I found that at lower volumes the Recto cab sounded better, the C90's sounded a little boxy to me, but once you got some juice flowing thru them they sounded really good. At higher volumes they stay really clear and sharp

(great with a 7 string thru a recto or a mark III/IV)

i don't gig anymore so I kept the recto cab and sold the C90 cab.

at low volumes my recto cab sounds great.

if they are both 4x12 cabs why don't you do an X pattern and do 2 V30's and 2 C90's.

that will sound great.

I do not gig, I am pretty much just a bedroom player and have the cabs in two different corners of the room as a sterio effect (sounds killer). What my logic is, I was thinking of getting rid of one of the cabs and picking up a little combo to take to jam sessions instead of loading a halfstack. I do use my Jeff Loomis edition 7 string as my main guitar, and both cabs sound great but I find myself favoring the 3/4 back cab.

• Members

My Road King cab was loaded with C90s (open) and V30s (closed). It's really the best of both worlds. Before you get rid of either of them, you might want to try that out. The Road King doesn't have quite as much low end as the Recto, but it's tighter (yes, even with the open back), far more versatile and can still get damn heavy. Last year, I was playing in a down tuned metal band with my Herbert and my Road King cab and it sounded sweet. Better than any of the other 3 Mesa cabs I had at the time (including an oversized Recto and a Traditional 4x12). To each their own and all, but if I had to keep one, it would be the Road King.

• Members

Better than any of the other 3 Mesa cabs I had at the time (including an oversized Recto and a Traditional 4x12). To each their own and all, but if I had to keep one, it would be the Road King.

I've always liked the Road King cabs, years before I was ever in a band with you. They do kick copious quantities of ass. :thu: My favorite 4x12 Mesa makes.

Archived