Bogner 20th Shiva, JCM 800 (2203) or Peavey 6505+?

Mr Lucky Pants

• Members

the 2203 & 6505+ wont be fizzy with the right speakers....stay away from 75's and lean towards greenbacks and you'll be fine,..what kinda tone ya wanting?..when ya say "paired",..are ya thinking W/D/W RIG?...if thats the case i would take the 2203,...it would add alot of muscle to your sound.

• Members

the 2203 & 6505+ wont be fizzy with the right speakers....stay away from 75's and lean towards greenbacks and you'll be fine,..what kinda tone ya wanting?..when ya say "paired",..are ya thinking W/D/W RIG?...if thats the case i would take the 2203,...it would add alot of muscle to your sound.

Just paired on a recording, not a two amp live rig.

• Members

For recording, try setting up the Bogner with exagerated highs and lows...Kind of scooped out. Then mix in the marshall with "ballanced" highs and lows and really boost up those grinding Marshall upper mids...I think you may be very pleased with the results. Just my opinion.

• Members

For recording, try setting up the Bogner with exagerated highs and lows...Kind of scooped out. Then mix in the marshall with "ballanced" highs and lows and really boost up those grinding Marshall upper...I think you may be very pleased with the results. Just my opinion.

I think you've got a great perspective. The more I've been thinking about, the more I think I need a Marshall in there. They may not sound as wide, but that upper mid kerrang would probably be a great match for the fatness of the XTC. The problem then, would be finding an original 2203.

• Members

Hmmmm I would say the Shiva would be a great choice, but you already have a Bogner. I mean it's different, but it's not WAY different. The 6505+ is way different, so it might give you more flexibility. I can tell you that the rhythm channel on the 6505+ with the crunch mode engaged is a KILLER hard rock sound. One of the best tones I've ever heard, and really underrated IMO.

• Members

Hmmmm I would say the Shiva would be a great choice, but you already have a Bogner. I mean it's different, but it's not WAY different. The 6505+ is way different, so it might give you more flexibility. I can tell you that the rhythm channel on the 6505+ with the crunch mode engaged is a KILLER hard rock sound. One of the best tones I've ever heard, and really underrated IMO.

I'll look into the crunch channel...only thing is that I'm not much of a 6L6 guy.

• Members

I agree with the comments regarding the rhythm channel of the 5150 II 100%...People don't usually understand how well that mode records with the gain at about 3:00 o'clock...More refined and controlled than the lead channel, with less high end static...also less potential feedback and hiss as well...Very helpful when recording.

• Members

I agree with the comments regarding the rhythm channel of the 5150 II 100%...People don't usually understand how well that mode records with the gain at about 3:00 o'clock...More refined and controlled than the lead channel, with less high end static...also less potential feedback and hiss as well...Very helpful when recording.

I love pushing a Tele through the green channel of a 5150 II, great tones.

That said I'd go for the 2203, I think you'd be surprised how big they can sound with volume behind them.

• Members

Any of those 3 will give you an excellent range of tones. However,I'd go for the marshall in this case. It will add some beef and power to the sound as well as clarity if used properly. And this is coming from a guy who pretty much hates marshall anything. It's definitely going to be a much stronger asset to you in the long run than either of the other choices.

Archived