Recommend me a sevenstring bridge pickup

monkeysuit

• Members

a passive one that is. The guitar is an old Ibanez RG7621 with basswood body maple neck and currently a DiMarzio New 7 - IH7B2BKM in the bridge. Amps are listed in my sig and the guitar is to be used in a death metal band with B Standard tuning.

I just started to really use the Ibanez two weeks ago when I joined this band and compared to the EMGs in my other guitars the Ibby sounds a bit thin and buzzy. I'm not sure how much a different pickup will be able to change this and obviously I can't compare the RG to my ESP but I hope a new pickup will at least make some difference.

I'm looking for a "standard" pickup and no expensive boutique stuff like Bareknuckles. I'm willing to invest ~$100.

• Members

Pretty much anything is going to beat those New 7s. They're utter garbage. :o

In my three 7-strings (RG2127X, UV777, RG7620) I've got (in order of guitars listed) an Evo7, Tone Zone 7, and a Blaze Custom in the bridge position. Air Norton 7s in all three for the neck position. Out of the three, I like the Blaze Custom most. Just seems to have the best balance of clarity and fullness, without any harshness. The Evo is ok in mahogany (although I'd still like to try something else in there), but when I had a pair of them in my UV they were just too bright for me. The Tone Zone sounds huge and fat, but it might be a bit too fat for tight death metal sounds. Depends on what kind of tone and feel you want I guess. :idk:

Yeah, I'd put in a vote (as I often do) for the Blaze Custom. :thu:

• Members

I had an invader 7 in mine, but it was pretty muddy...swapped it for a blackout...which was great. I would probably try a duncan distortion if I wanted passive but didnt want to buy BKP...but I think BKPs are worth it, so idk....

Basically...duncan distortion lol.

Archived