Blackstar HT-5 , combo or stack?

Vinchester

• Members

SO the shop in my town does have Blackstar amps. (and not the Peavey Valvekings or 6505+) and since it's got stellar reviews and is in my price range I'm considering buying it next week if I like it in the tryout.

There are 2 versions of this amp, a 1x10 combo and the stack version with head + 2 cabs of 10" Celestion speakers. Bedroom/home recording use only. Any suggestion? What are the differences and will I need it?

thanks. NAD coming soon! :rolleyes:

• Members

I don't think the 10" cabs on the stack sound all that bad. Pretty decent low end for 10" speakers.

If they will let you buy the head only, you should be able to take the difference and be in the ball park for a decent 2 x 12 from avatar.

I would go for the head only or the stack if they wont split it up.

• Members

I've got the head version, and got a really good deal on it but since they raised the price to $399 US, I'd say look around for a better deal.

He is Asia the pricing is different on amps.

To the OP the head plus a cab with a 12 inch speaker is what you want, I really enjoyed that amp.

• Members

I have the head with and use it with a 2x12 Avatar cab with Celestion Lead 80's...it sounds MUCH fuller and richer than the stack of 10's. I also use it with a 1x12 cab (G12K-100) that sounds better than the 1x10 Blackstar but stil nowhere near as full and rich as the 2x12.
Guess what I'm saying is get the head and pick the cab that sounds good to you.

• Members

I have the stack............don't listen to anyone that says the 10" speakers suck......you should be able to get perfectly usable tones if you're playing at home.

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with the 10's but they don't sound AS good as a quality 1x12 or 2x12 cab. Keeping in mind also that they jacked up the price on the cabs to nearly $200.

• Members

I think it really depends on what you think you are going to do with it. I got the combo (like right when it came out, no heads available for months). I did originally want the head but glad I got the combo. I truck this thing around everywhere to jam with friends. Would be a PITA to move a cab and a small head to just go over some guitar parts.

• Members

I bought the whole stack for $449 (head and 2 speaker cabs) at GC yesterday on sale.

The two little cabs sound great, but I am running the head thru a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks and G12H-30's and it sounds amazing!! :love:

Archived