Pop Culture Q: When did people start making fun of "gingers"?

sabrex

• Members

I have noticed a trend of people making fun of "gingers" (red haired) people.

One such reference was about a dating site where women discriminated against men because of height or ginger hair.

Is this universally decided to be a bad trait? Does this stem from a pop culture event? (Maybe carrot top? Or kathy griffin?)

When did they start calling them gingers?

• Members

When there started being gingers.

rofl.

Well 20 years ago when I started school, there was a ginger kid who was picked on because he was ginger. So at least 20 years ago... :D

I really don't know why a 4 year old would feel having ginger hair is a weakness though.

• Members

rofl.

Well 20 years ago when I started school, there was a ginger kid who was picked on because he was ginger. So at least 20 years ago...
:D

I really don't know why a 4 year old would feel having ginger hair is a weakness though.

..I'm sure it goes back much further than that....since I started school over 30 years ago and no-one like the smelly ginge then either :D

It's because they're really fairy folk in human disguise...not human at all...or human/fairy offspring which are largely an abomination. :lol:

• Members

It probably goes back to mid evil England when they first took over Scotland. They saw the Scots as savages and felt they were below the English. And what the trademark look of a Scot? Red hair, pale skin, and freckles. I'm sure they felt the same way about the Irish and Scandinavians (vikings, which is where the Scot and Irish get it from)). That's my best guess :idk:

• Members

It probably goes back to mid evil England when they first took over Scotland. They saw the Scots as savages and felt they were below the English. And what the trademark look of a Scot? Red hair, pale skin, and freckles. I'm sure they felt the same way about the Irish and Scandinavians (vikings, which is where the Scot and Irish get it from)). That's my best guess
:idk:

What does "mid evil" mean? :confused:

Archived