Anybody tried Andy Timmons' pickup?

simplestargazer

• Members
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mahogony sabre with a wilkinson trem. Looks like the older, slightly thicker H&S body style.

I'd like to see an ad for any "Sabre" that reached $1500 retail new...

I got an older S model with an edge Pro & paid less than $350 used...

I call BS

• Members

The early 90 H&S and Fugigen Sabres were $1500 guitars. They have more mass than the current Korean Sabres and compare favorably to Timmons model. I only play the 20 year old sabres, the new ones are too light. Yes Ive been playing that long.

Timmons main axe, the one based on the sabre, is Mahogony as you point out. Agree they are not identical, probably the biggest difference is the bridge, but even the s540s all have different tones based on their wood top and mojo.
I confess the only timmons album I have is the "That was then, this is now." compilation. Most of his tones have the glassy mahogony top end. I dont hear much alder in those songs, but that is me.

My opinion (obvisouly) is that the Timmonz tone is not that hard to accomplish. A mid heavy, medium output bucker with a glassy, instead of harsh top. Can get pretty close with the stock Quantum pickups im mid90s sabres. (Could probably get real close moving the neck to the bridge) The F2 dimarzios in early 90s ones not so close. They are more like a tone zone.

Actually proud to have ony 131 posts.
This is not an alternate account and I dont hang out much on music sites, although I was just in surgery and am sitting on my ass for the past two weeks.

The AT300 (Mahogany) wasn't in production at the time of That Was Then, This Is Now, I believe. So, unless he used other guitars (totally possible, but unlikely any LP or such was used), it was an alder bodied Ibanez Strat.

Having low posts is fine, I have a low post count. What makes you stand out is your very noob views regarding tone & talent coupled with your low post count. Opinions are opinions, and I can't tell you that AT's tone is good to your ears. But your views on Andy's tone & gear is clearly in the minority on tone, and moderately uninformed on gear. You simply come off as inexperienced & not knowing great guitar tone. In fact, I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Andy's tones, quite the opposite.

• Members

I got an older S model with an edge Pro & paid less than $350 used...

I call BS

Those were $1300 when new, minus case. $1100 was a good deal.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/1993/4_Sep/p02.jpg

They went up to $1450 in the mid/late 90s.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/1997/2_Aug/p02.jpg

• Members

The AT300 (Mahogany) wasn't in production at the time of That Was Then, This Is Now, I believe. So, unless he used other guitars (totally possible, but unlikely any LP or such was used), it was an alder bodied Ibanez Strat.

Having low posts is fine, I have a low post count. What makes you stand out is your very noob views regarding tone & talent
coupled with
your low post count. Opinions are opinions, and I can't tell you that AT's tone is good to your ears. But your views on Andy's tone & gear is clearly in the minority on tone, and moderately uninformed on gear. You simply come off as inexperienced & not knowing great guitar tone. In fact, I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about Andy's tones, quite the opposite.

I dont hear alder in timmons tone. Hes been playing for 30+ years, do you know what he played before his signature axe? I dont, and I dont care.

His tone is not hard to accomplish, and is generic, mid output bucker tone. Laney head, greenbacks.

• Members

Those were $1300 when new, minus case. $1100 was a good deal.

They went up to $1450 in the mid/late 90s.

Again, man... weak argument. I looked at the price lists, they're showing list price. You ever paid list price for a guitar? The AT100 sells right now for $2300-$2400, and lists for around $3k or so.

Now I'm all for taking a low or mid priced guitar & getting it to sound alot like a much higher priced guitar, but your argument gets worse with every post. The more you post, the less similar your guitar gets to an AT model, and the more you claim that it is, at this point of your argument, so close that it renders comparison unnecessary.

Even used, there's more than a thousand to eighteen hundred dollar difference between your guitar of choice and the more affordable AT model.

• Members

I dont hear alder in timmons tone. Hes been playing for 30+ years, do you know what he played before his signature axe? I dont, and I dont care.

His tone is not hard to accomplish, and is generic, mid output bucker tone. Laney head, greenbacks.

All factual evidence in this thread , even from Andy Timmons himself, to the contrary..... You still persist.

Do you know what I hear in your tone?

That's right.......

• Members

I'd like to see an ad for any "Sabre" that reached $1500
retail
new...

Again, man...
weak
argument. I looked at the price lists, they're showing
list
price. You ever paid list price for a guitar? The AT100 sells right now for $2300-$2400, and lists for around $3k or so.

Jesus christ, you are a {censored}ing idiot and liar. The link to the timmons guitar I posted retails for $1799.

And I posted the link to the official Ibanez price list that showed the mid 90s Sabres retialed for $1450. Is that not close enough to $1500?

At least do some fact checking before you lie.

• Members

Why are we arguing about Ibanez prices, now?

I'm lost.

What happened to "Andy Timmons ain't all that."
:confused:

Its just random baiting on various topics to get a rise from me. I'm not a big fan of Timmons, but he deserves better than this thread.

• Members

Jesus christ, you are a {censored}ing idiot and liar. The link to the timmons guitar I posted
retails
for $1799.

And I posted the link to the official Ibanez price list that showed the mid 90s Sabres
retialed
for $1450. Is that not close enough to $1500?

At least do some fact checking before you lie.

Retailed? Retailed. Really? I see a whole lot of list, nothing about what they retail for. I pointed this out before & you continue to make a fool of yourself. Your next post should start with "Please let me withdraw & rephrase". Where on these pages you linked to do see the word retail?

p02.jpg

p02.jpg

One of the price lists was from 97. The current AT model today retails retails for a thousand dollars more than the current top of the line S series. You're clearly well beyond the point where you should've stopped posting. Few can recover from a hole this deep. I assume you should be finished by now, but if you want to continue..... be my guest.

• Members

Its just random baiting on various topics to get a rise from me. I'm not a big fan of Timmons, but he deserves better than this thread.

You may need meds. You're the only guy here bashing him, and suddenly you're defending him? From yourself? You haven't had anything positive to say about the guy yet. You sir, are the SABRE rattler!

• Members

Actually proud to have ony 131 posts. This is not an alternate account and I dont hang out much on music sites, although I was just in surgery and am sitting on my ass for the past two weeks.

Wahoo, you have 131 (now 142) posts. You joined less than a month ago. And since when is not having posts something to be proud of? Not saying having posts is something to be proud of necessarily, but...

also you seem like a real self-important toolbag, but that's neither here nor there.

Archived