Boss SD-1

sabrex

• Members

I guess. I traded an MXR phase 90 for mine so it was a good deal. All "boutique" overdrive pedals are overpriced as {censored} IMO.

NO WAY! The Fulltone OCD is a perfect example of how faulty this statement truly is. The Fulltone OCD is true bypass (very, very transparent), and adds dynamic harmonic response to your existing clean and distorted tones for only $135 USD!

There are however, many distortion/boosts/clip pedals that are utter garbage. I found this out recently when I purchased the Way Huge (reissue) Pork Loin -- just a terrible, terrible clip injection pedal.

In summary, not ALL distortion pedals are crap and overpriced -- I agree though that many indeed are.

• Members

How complicated is this? I've been itching to try to learn by modding something, and better I try it on something I can replace for $29 in the case of utter fail (i.e. my SD-1), than experimenting on my amp and frying myself or it.

If your handy with a soldering iron, easy. It's my go to boost pedal. I thought it was just a tad bit dirty down at it's lowest gain setting. After changing the diodes, you have more volume and clean down at it's lowest gain setting. Less compression too. A worthy mod in my opinion.

• Members

Hmmm...Is it worth picking one up as a different flavour of boost then? I've got a TS9 which I do really, REALLY like...however that's been playing up a bit recently so I grabbed a Bad Monkey as a backup while on tour last month. Sod's Law it didn't play up again but I've been using the BM at rehearsals recently...not as easy to dial in as the TS9....

• Members

Hmmm...Is it worth picking one up as a different flavour of boost then? I've got a TS9 which I do really, REALLY like...however that's been playing up a bit recently so I grabbed a Bad Monkey as a backup while on tour last month. Sod's Law it didn't play up again but I've been using the BM at rehearsals recently...not as easy to dial in as the TS9....

Just get one... 40 bucks new.

• Members

NO WAY! The Fulltone OCD is a perfect example of how faulty this statement truly is. The Fulltone OCD is true bypass (very, very transparent), and adds dynamic harmonic response to your existing clean and distorted tones for only $135 USD!

There are however, many distortion/boosts/clip pedals that are utter garbage. I found this out recently when I purchased the Way Huge (reissue) Pork Loin -- just a terrible, terrible clip injection pedal.

In summary, not ALL distortion pedals are crap and overpriced -- I agree though that many indeed are.

But still, thats a pedal with probably 30-40$ worth of parts in it. They are great and definitely not as ridiculously priced as some, but still pricey for what it actually is.

• Members

How complicated is this? I've been itching to try to learn by modding something, and better I try it on something I can replace for $29 in the case of utter fail (i.e. my SD-1), than experimenting on my amp and frying myself or it.

easy as. located diodes...unsolder...insert new diodes(take note of the orientation) solder.

heres a link that may help

http://www.erikhansen.net/pedal-mods/boss-sd-1-mods

modding gets addictive...and the next logical step is buildign your own pedals.

i just build my own TS from scratch and i like it more than all the TS ive ever owned. built it with less gain on min so makes a great clean boost and can hardly notice its on on the clean channel but on gain its pinch harmonics galore!

Archived