what are the best pickups for coil splitting?

bluesboy

• Members

This is probably useless information since I don't know if you can buy them, but the coil tap (is that different from split ..? they sound like SCs anyway) on my Mira pickups is really awesome.

I think they are a little different, but I forget how or I could just be flat wrong. Anyways, PRS Mira is a great guitar for that. I like how that guitar sounds.

I had a pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and I think they split very well.

• Members

p-rails are designed for it. there is also a 2 push-pull pot wiring scheme where you get hb-series, hb-parallel, outside coils, inside coils. both single coil modes are humbucking as well.

Ditto that. I get a lot of milage out of my P-Rails. I have 2 mounted on a Tele configed like above. I also have a set of Lace Drop & Gain Humbuckers on a strat. These pups were designed with two different types of coils and split very nicely. I also have a Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker on a strat that splits very nicely. I have a set of Duncans 59 & JB on my Explorer. They split ok, not as good as the Lace or Rio though.

• Members

I have a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck of my dual humbucker Tele that sounds great in single coil mode.

I also have a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge of a PRS Santana SE that I installed with a mini toggle for 3 way switching: series/parallel/single. Sounds really good and gives a wide range of tones.

• Members

I have a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck of my dual humbucker Tele that sounds great in single coil mode.

I also have a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge of a PRS Santana SE that I installed with a mini toggle for 3 way switching: series/parallel/single. Sounds really good and gives a wide range of tones.

cool man, thanks for the input

• Members

This is probably useless information since I don't know if you can buy them, but the coil tap (is that different from split ..? they sound like SCs anyway) on my Mira pickups is really awesome.

most people use "tap" incorrectly. It isn't sunonymous with split. Tapping is when a coil has to sets of leads coming out of it, one from a portion of its windings and one at the end of all of them. So you can get a lower output and a full output pickup from the same coil. Tapped HBs aren't very popular. The only aftermarket one I know of is the Joe Barden TwoTone.

• Members
Most medium to high output humbuckers sound great when split, IMO.

I've had the best success with ones that aren't too hot, somewhere in the PAF+ area. Pearly Gates and Alnico Pro II sound really good split. Gibby 498 too. And the GFS Dream 180s and Liverpools have really decent split tones. The Crunchy PAT, not so much, IMO.

Archived