2 Tubes glowing BRIGHT orange.

CptMcKay

• Members

I assume they're brighter than normal. Sounds like you've got some tubes starting to die. By any chance, are the tubes in the two inner or two outer slots?

If you turn the amp off and try it again later, does this continue to happen?

By the way, have you tried KT77s instead of 6l6s in that amp yet? Most XXX owners around here liked them the best. (In case you didn't know, the 3120 is the XXX with different cosmetics.)

• Members

Well, these tubes are fairly new, to my knowledge. It was the 2 tubes all the way to the right, if you were looking into the back of the amp.

I put it on stand by and it cooled off really quick, and now its not doing it. Weird.

• Members

Well, these tubes are fairly new, to my knowledge. It was the 2 tubes all the way to the right, if you were looking into the back of the amp.

I put it on stand by and it cooled off really quick, and now its not doing it. Weird.

In many Mesa manuals, it says that tubes can do stuff like that when they start to go. E.g., the manual for my amp says that if the tubes act funny, to put it in standby for a bit, then see if the problem goes away. The manual claims this is a sign that the tubes are dying. (I know you've got a Peavey; I'm just telling you my source for this.)

• Members

Alright man, I guess if they do finally go out on me, I have some EL34s that I can replace the current tubes with.

Make sure to bias it or have a tech do it. If you have the tubes, it shouldn't cost more than $30-50 to have a tech do it for you and it's a quick little job.

Archived