Is there a big difference in tone between dual and triple rectifiers?

soilent

• Members

Yes. The Dual is more open and organic. The mids cut better. The triple is more "metal" to my ears. The triple is louder and more focused. Both suck at classic rock tones to me. Both cleans ok. Thought the dual had the better clean thing going on. Both have top end sizzle that I can't dial out, but some people can. Both good amps though :)

• Members

A single, double, and triple Recto will all have very similar characteristics with only slight differences.

IMO, there's more of a change between two channel and three channel rectos than there is between the single/double/triples.

• Members

Hmm, I'll definitely be getting one for metal so the triple doesn't sound too bad. Plus, I've heard him play the triple live several times and it sounds quite brutal. However, I do agree that the amount of tubes in a triple rec is retarded. So I guess the next question is, what's the difference between the 2 and 3 channels? Do they even make 2 channel versions anymore?

• Members

I think so. But, I think if you played one, you'd get the jist of what they all sound like.

To me, the Triples sound bigger, fuller, and clearer.

People tell me my Triple is a waste at home, but I always tell them, I have never heard another amp sound so big. Nothing sounds as massive as this amp :)

• Members
Yes. The Dual is more open and organic. The mids cut better. The triple is more "metal" to my ears. The triple is louder and more focused. Both suck at classic rock tones to me. Both cleans ok. Thought the dual had the better clean thing going on. Both have top end sizzle that I can't dial out, but some people can. Both good amps though
:)

The Triples have a better clean channel, because you have more headroom.

• Members

Hmm, I'll definitely be getting one for metal so the triple doesn't sound too bad. Plus, I've heard him play the triple live several times and it sounds quite brutal. However, I do agree that the amount of tubes in a triple rec is retarded. So I guess the next question is, what's the difference between the 2 and 3 channels? Do they even make 2 channel versions anymore?

The 2 channels were 1991-2001ish.

The 3 channels were 2001ish to 2010ish.

Now they are coming out with a "new and improved" 3 channel, that is just now hitting stores.

• Members
They are 98% similar in tone. The Triple Rec is a stupid amount of tubes to replace. The three 5U4s alone are
:facepalm:

I don't get why everyone is hating on the tubes. It is only 3 more tubes than what is in a dual :facepalm:

If that's a problem, sell those amps and get SS amps :)

Its not like we are talking about like a rack power amp, or bass amp where there are 12 6550's or something, where its a mortgage payment to replace them.

• Members

i thought the triple recto was a bit boomier and {censored} sounding, maybe it was just me but that has been my least favorite mesa to date.

Depends on what you want really. I like mine more than my Mark III. It just sounds huge. The Mark III cannot compete with hugeness.

But, if I wanted surgical tight thrash, then obviously the Mark III would excel at that.

Archived