I read about a 20 watt amp with 2-el34s. Is this a good thing?

axuality

• Members

It seems to me that 2 el34s wouldn't be used until the amp was about 40 or more.

Maybe it was a misprint, but it occured twice. How would this sound, or is it even possible?

You must be looking at the Blackstar HT-20 head. Nope it's not a misprint. Marshall used to make a hybrid head (solid state pre, tube power) that was only 30 watts and used 2 el34s. I'm sure the power transformer has something to do with the wattage as well.

• Members

You must be looking at the Blackstar HT-20 head. Nope it's not a misprint. Marshall used to make a hybrid head (solid state pre, tube power) that was only 30 watts and used 2 el34s. I'm sure the power transformer has something to do with the wattage as well.

So how do the 34s do in that low watt situation? They wouldn't be pushed very hard, I suppose. Maybe that would have a weak, wussy effect?

• Members

So how do the 34s do in that low watt situation? They wouldn't be pushed very hard, I suppose. Maybe that would have a weak, wussy effect?

Beats me. I'm curious to know how it sounds as well b/c I've been gassing for one of the HT-20 heads.

• Members

Actually the amp hes talking about Is the Artist 3203. Ive owned one for 20 years. its a great amp. Sounds great at low volumes and is great in a moderately loud band setting.

Dunno why the HT20 only 20w tho and the Artist is only 30 when a similar 2xEL34 JCM800 is 50. Must be the Iron.

IMO driven EL34's sound WAYYYY better than Driven EL84's

• Members

Nah...not necessarily the case...but perhaps the tech types can chime in. All I can tell you is that the Matchless Clubman is a 2xEL34 cathode bias amp pushing 35 watts and the tubes are about to melt.

• Members

If an amp is "very class A" it takes a LOT of power tubes to get 20 watts.
I think Allesandro makes an amp that uses FOUR 6V6 tubes to get just 20 watts. It's supposed to sound glorious and has this wonderfully smooth transition from clean to overdrive based on subtle changes in your attack. God I want one:

http://www.alessandro-products.com/amp-bluetick.shtml

Archived