Trying to help a friend out

B.Renegades

• Members

He wants a good tone for AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton. We've noticed that alot of them either use the Marshall 1959SLPX or use an amp very similiar, but costs way to much. Is there a cheaper alternative to get a tone good for the previously mentioned musicians?

• Members

The DSL50 is just a little to much... were looking for around $500-$750, cause we're minors and have to make money mowing our grandmothers lawn.

You can snag a DSL50 head for $500-$600.

Someone on here earlier today was just mentioned a Laney VH100R for $480 on craigslist.

• Members

Ceriatones are pretty nice and not all that expensive plus you can get them to build it for you if you can't handle doing it yourself. JTM 45, Plexi 50 watter, and JCM 2204 all go for around $690 built.....comes with everything but the head case. That's about as cheap as it gets. My father built a Metro Amps Plexi 100 w/ MM trannies and that thing is just a beast.

• Members

BTW, props to you guys for working hard for it instead of asking for a handout from your folks/grandparents. :thu:

Also, if you're looking for some good Marshallesque tones, but don't want to pay for the name look for a used Laney. You can find some great deals on some of the models.

• Members

BTW, props to you guys for working hard for it instead of asking for a handout from your folks/grandparents.
:thu:

Also, if you're looking for some good Marshallesque tones, but don't want to pay for the name look for a used Laney. You can find some great deals on some of the models.

Laney =/= Marshall :poke:

• Members

Lots of used options out there. Bedrock, laney AOR or some newer ones.

For new I think this is a good deal---

http://www.proaudiostar.com/servlet/the-2396/Traynor/Detail

Cleans are great on it too. It actually has quite a bit of gain on tap on its drive channel.

I gotta stop recommending my amps :facepalm:

However I noticed a lot of people are going for that marshall sound for a decent price and this was a good solution for me at least.

Archived