Help me "Laney Amp Lovers". You're my only hope!

incufan7

• Members

Ok, so Star Wars aside, I love Laney amps. In fact I have owned a few of their tube models over the years (VC-30, 2 AOR ProTube 50s, GH50L).

Right now I am in the process of ditching the amp modeling gear and going back to a good ol' tube amp as I just never could get the amazing sound out of digital amps that I could out of a GH50L.

That said I need your help. Does Laney make a 50W class A/B amp that has a drive channel like the GH50L? That amp has my favorite overdriven sound but I need something more versatile than a single channel amplifier.

How are the drive channels on LH50 or LC50 amps? TT50?

• Members

I agree the VH100R is your best bet for clean and that GH distortion. The LH50R doesn't have the high gain as the GH,VH or TT. I had the TT50H and prefer the sound of the VH over that. You make it to a 50 watt amp by pulling either two inner or outer power tubes.

• Members

VH100R.

tame volume by throwing loop swich on back to "insert" and use level knob on back as MV. crank up the vol on the front to 3-4 and play at controlled lower vol.- even apt vol.

oh- music-go-round columbus OH haz a crome-o-zone for sale 2x12. Early 30 watt vh100r-ish amp. no personal expeience with that one. http://www.musicgoround.com/search.aspx?q=laney&cid=8&scid=0&sid=0&z=&d=10&min=&max=&c=10&ob=6

• Members

I agree the VH100R is your best bet for clean and that GH distortion. The LH50R doesn't have the high gain as the GH,VH or TT. I had the TT50H and prefer the sound of the VH over that. You make it to a 50 watt amp by pulling either two inner or outer power tubes.

Is this a viable alternative? Will this not hurt the amp?

• Members

Is this a viable alternative? Will this not hurt the amp?

it won't hurt the amp if you pull either two outer or inner tubes out. Will you lower the volume? Only by 3 db, other than that no. You'll just get an earlier breakup of the clean and distortion

• Members

the new LH50 is pretty good, it doesnt quite have the balls of the gh50l but its still very good. If you can stretch to the vh100, do it, its a monster, just be sure to stock up on the footswitches as they often fail!

I have the LH50, A/B, 2 channels with effects loop. While it's true that it's not made for metal, it does classic and hard rock very well with both a strat and a Les Paul.

• Members

I have the LH50, A/B, 2 channels with effects loop. While it's true that it's not made for metal, it does classic and hard rock very well with both a strat and a Les Paul.

I play mostly southern rock. If I throw a pedal in front of it to push the tubes more can I get a queens of the stone age, soundgarden, or Incubus style overdrive?

Archived