tell me about the randall rh50t head...

NinjaRaf

• Members

I don't have any clips, but I can give you my two cents as someone who owns one.

First of all, it's not very loud for a 50 watter. My 18 watt Peavey Bravo is just as loud, if not louder than the Randall. That's the knock on this amp.

With that having been said, there are some really good sounds to be had with this amp. I personally think that it sounds better through a 2x12 cab than through a 4x12 cab because the bottom end stays tighter through the smaller cab. Purely a matter of taste.

Another good point is that you can use mismatched tubes in the power section because it allows you to adjust the bias on each tube individually. So, if you have two EL34's that aren't matched and you throw them in this amp, you can just see which one is drawing more current and either decrease the current to that tube, or increase the current to the other tube until they match. Very cool!

The clean channel breaks up a little too early for my taste, but I'm also using high output humbuckers. Someone using med output humbuckers or single coils shouldn't have a problem. Tonally, the clean channel is a mix of Fender and Marshall, say 40/60. It has that Fender chime up top, but a lot more mid content, primarily due to the EL34's in the power section. The clean channel has a "boost" that I never use, but would come in handy for the right player.

The high gain channel has two voicings: Green and Red. The Green voicing is your typical hot rodded Marshall: beautiful cutting upper mids, but with way more bass and gain than any Marshall I've ever played. I can get a great "Rust in Peace" tone from this, perfect for heavy rhythm playing. The Red voicing on the lead channel smooths out the highs, adds bottom end and shifts the mids a little bit lower. Much better for leads than the Green voicing, in my opinion.

• Members

better off w/

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Stage-HT100H-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423771

I wish they made a HT50H

I had the Randall combo version, I didnt like it all that much. This was when they 1st came out with them and I probably didnt give it enough time as far as tube swapping etc. I did run it through my Marshall 4x12 cab. the sound was not their, hard to explain. So Sold it

(Does it compare to 5150 heaviness and tightness? not even close )

• Members

yeah, but I dont really think the ht series is gonna do what I want, so Im asking about the randall to find out if it will do what I want. I also am not gonna be spending 850 on a map right now, after the whole deliverance incident and the fact that Im probably gonna lose money on that thing...

• Members

yeah, but I dont really think the ht series is gonna do what I want, so Im asking about the randall to find out if it will do what I want. I also am not gonna be spending 850 on a map right now, after the whole deliverance incident and the fact that Im probably gonna lose money on that thing...

I was looking at the deliverance 60 myself awhile back, what didnt you like about it ?

curious

• Members

I was looking at the deliverance 60 myself awhile back, what didnt you like about it ?

curious

Something in the low end just didnt do it for me. It sounds really good, and I think it would absolute slay in a mix, but the low end was just lacking, IMO. I prefered the 6505. It wasnt just the sound int he low end that led me to this, but the feel as well...It is a killer amp though.

• Members

Something in the low end just didnt do it for me. It sounds really good, and I think it would absolute slay in a mix, but the low end was just lacking, IMO. I prefered the 6505. It wasnt just the sound int he low end that led me to this, but the feel as well...It is a killer amp though.

I hear you, the guy I sold that Randall too loved it. I lost 170.00 but its good to know someone will appreciate it.

My search continues aswell, JVM205H r Blackstar series one 100 watt head

both 1700.00 and then I want another guitar 1400.00 :facepalm:

• Members

one of my students has one... decent amp for the price, drive channel sounds really good when played loud. The issue I noticed with this amp is that the drive channel is WAY louder than the clean channel. To get a good clean/drive balance you have to turn the drive volume way down and at that point it sounds like {censored}.

But if you don't plan to use the clean tone, it's decent.

• Members

I hear you, the guy I sold that Randall too loved it. I lost 170.00 but its good to know someone will appreciate it.

My search continues aswell, JVM205H r Blackstar series one 100 watt head

both 1700.00 and then I want another guitar 1400.00
:facepalm:

HA. Yeah, I have a few guitars that I would love to get, and not nearly enough cash to go around lol.

• Members

I had the Randall combo version, I didnt like it all that much. This was when they 1st came out with them and I probably didnt give it enough time as far as tube swapping etc. I did run it through my Marshall 4x12 cab. the sound was not their, hard to explain. So Sold it

(Does it compare to 5150 heaviness and tightness? not even close )

The combo and the head have different lead circuits. The combo has about half the gain of the head. A friend of mine has the combo and I modded the lead channel to have the same amount of gain as the head and he loves it now, and he plays Lamb of God and other similarly heavy stuff.

• Members

How heavy can it get? Does it compare to 5150 heaviness and tightness?

It's not quite in the same catagory as a 5150 when it comes to heavy tones, but there aren't many amps out there that can hang with the 5150 in that capacity. It has a lot of gain, but not as much as the 5150, nor does it have that huge, doomy sound that you can get out of a 5150, it's a completely different animal. If you're looking for a 5150jr, it's not the amp for you. Think more along the lines of a modded Marshall than the modern, over the top high gain of a 5150 or similarly voiced beasts.

• Members

The combo and the head have different lead circuits. The combo has about half the gain of the head. A friend of mine has the combo and I modded the lead channel to have the same amount of gain as the head and he loves it now, and he plays Lamb of God and other similarly heavy stuff.

That sounds cool, its not a bad little amp if you have the right pedal in front but the clean channel didnt cut it.

Also to play any Lamb of God on the one I had, a pedal would have been needed for sure. :)

• Members

The combo has a voltage divider early in the gain stages that dumps a lot of the gain being generated to ground. In the head, there is a different resistor value, providing stiffer resistance to ground at that voltage divider, which keeps more of the gain in the circuit instead of dumping it to ground. One resistor makes a world of difference, at least in that particular spot.

Anyone who has the combo and wants more gain can do so simply by swapping the value of R26. On the combo it's 150k, on the head it's 330k. The 150k resistor in the combo lets a lot of the signal bleed off to ground, leaving the circuit very bland and lifeless in my opinion. By swapping the value for a higher resistance, the circuit really comes to life.

Archived