What's an amp like a 5150 with out the mids?

soilent

• Members

What's an amp that has tight and saturated gain, but with a more balanced voicing?

I had an Engl Fireball. To me it's kinda like a clearer 5150 without as much midz...sounded great alone but got buried in the mix trying to keep up with other guitarist Marshall.

• Members
I had an Engl Fireball. To me it's kinda like a clearer 5150 without as much midz...sounded great alone but got buried in the mix trying to keep up with other guitarist Marshall.

The solution to the problem you were having I'm afraid is a 5150. :thu: I'm not kidding either.

• Members

I actually currently have a Recto and I played the 5150 for the first time not too long ago. They couldn't be anymore different.

Actually when I use an EQ in the loop of my 5150 and drop the mids big time, it ends up sounding closer to my Triple Recto...

• Members
The solution to the problem you were having I'm afraid is a 5150.
:thu:
I'm not kidding either.

Yeah I thought the 6505 I had was great. Just not versatile enough for me. I play a lot of clean stuff so a "good" clean is important to me. That and I was missing out on a lot of those in between tones I just couldn't get out of it.

• Members
Yeah I thought the 6505 I had was great. Just not versatile enough for me. I play a lot of clean stuff so a "good" clean is important to me. That and I was missing out on a lot of those in between tones I just couldn't get out of it.

I have a 5150 II which has a nicer clean channel than the standard ones I believe. I run a Boss Cs-3 infront of mine and it really makes the cleans shine. :) not ...amazing. .but pretty good. :)

• Members
I have a 5150 II which has a nicer clean channel than the standard ones I believe. I run a Boss Cs-3 infront of mine and it really makes the cleans shine.
:)
not ...amazing. .but pretty good.
:)

Decent advice for such a young fellow.

OP: What's the issue with the mids? just the spikey character? Perhaps a Laney G50L with a boost might be to yoru liking. Just EQ it dark, and it'll balance out nicely...that said, my Peters Hydra is just rad, it has a nice squish in the low mids, some vintagey sag and an uber high gain modern voice. It's way more versatile than both the 5150 and the Recto by a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot...And decently priced...forumite JamesPeters...scope his {censored}!

-Curtis

Archived